Windows XP PKUNZIP problem

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with PKUNZIP 2.04G. We have used it for years, but in the last month it repeatedly reports CRC errors on 4 out of 49 files in a zipped archive. It doesn't seem to be the PKZIPed files fault, since WinZip extracts the files correctly, so the data is in the archived files! Has anyone had a similar problem?

The later (2.50 ) version of PKUNZIP has the same CRC problem when extracting.

I've looked for a DOS zip utility replacement, but PKWARE seems to make the only one capable of striping across multiple diskettes.

This is a component of a distributed application written in FoxPro 2.5 for DOS, and will be very expensive to the state of NC to rewrite. I hope someone knows what is going on.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you re-zip the original data do you still get the error?

Reaction score
If I rezip the files using PKZIP then the CRC error repeats for a PKUNZIP attempt. Oddly the compressed size reduces by two bytes. If I unzip using WINZIP and zip it back up with WINZIP, the files are correct in size and no CRC error.

I forgot to mention that this is all done on a seat managed Windows XP PC. I'm using the Command window, of course.

If anyone would like to experiment with the zipped file I've been using for test, I could send it to you.

Ask a Question