Ping returned wrong ip address

E

el

Hi all,
Can anyone explain this (see below) to me and suggest me what to do to fix it?

I recently rebuilt a laptop. The computer name (mylaptop) was kept the same as before and was joined back to the company network. Later, I encountered some problems so I used ping to check the connectivity of the laptop with the company network. I pinged by computer name and it returned the ip address and the results. The ping has gone through alright. But the ip address returned (192.168.16.119) was actually the ip address for another computer (adesktop) in the network. So I then pinged again but using the other computer name (adesktop) this time. The ping has gone through ok again and the ip address returned this time is the same as the ping I had done before. Strange!!!

I then opened DHCP to check the record in there. the ip addr record for mylaptop is 192.168.16.125 and the ip addr record for adesktop is 192.168.16.119. So the actual ip addr for mylaptop is 192.168.16.125. (It was confirmed by ipconfig /all from mylaptop)

For some reasons, ping didn't return the correct ip addr. I guess this cause me problem remote installing an antivirus product onto this laptop.

Help please!!!!

TIA

el

D

Dave Patrick

Sounds like stale DNS and or WINS records.

--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
Hi all,
Can anyone explain this (see below) to me and suggest me what to do to fix
it?

I recently rebuilt a laptop. The computer name (mylaptop) was kept the same
as before and was joined back to the company network. Later, I encountered
some problems so I used ping to check the connectivity of the laptop with
the company network. I pinged by computer name and it returned the ip
address and the results. The ping has gone through alright. But the ip
address returned (192.168.16.119) was actually the ip address for another
computer (adesktop) in the network. So I then pinged again but using the
other computer name (adesktop) this time. The ping has gone through ok
again and the ip address returned this time is the same as the ping I had
done before. Strange!!!

I then opened DHCP to check the record in there. the ip addr record for
mylaptop is 192.168.16.125 and the ip addr record for adesktop is
192.168.16.119. So the actual ip addr for mylaptop is 192.168.16.125. (It
was confirmed by ipconfig /all from mylaptop)

For some reasons, ping didn't return the correct ip addr. I guess this
cause me problem remote installing an antivirus product onto this laptop.

Help please!!!!

TIA

el

K

kj

Symptomatic of stale records. Use the DNS management console to locate and remove the stale record(s).

--
/kj
Hi all,

I recently rebuilt a laptop. The computer name (mylaptop) was kept the same as before and was joined back to the company network. Later, I encountered some problems so I used ping to check the connectivity of the laptop with the company network. I pinged by computer name and it returned the ip address and the results. The ping has gone through alright. But the ip address returned (192.168.16.119) was actually the ip address for another computer (adesktop) in the network. So I then pinged again but using the other computer name (adesktop) this time. The ping has gone through ok again and the ip address returned this time is the same as the ping I had done before. Strange!!!

I then opened DHCP to check the record in there. the ip addr record for mylaptop is 192.168.16.125 and the ip addr record for adesktop is 192.168.16.119. So the actual ip addr for mylaptop is 192.168.16.125. (It was confirmed by ipconfig /all from mylaptop)

For some reasons, ping didn't return the correct ip addr. I guess this cause me problem remote installing an antivirus product onto this laptop.

Help please!!!!

TIA

el

W

wubing

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
change DHCP ip address lease time shorter
How do I fix it?

Dave Patrick said:
Sounds like stale DNS and or WINS records.

--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
Hi all,
Can anyone explain this (see below) to me and suggest me what to do to
fix it?

I recently rebuilt a laptop. The computer name (mylaptop) was kept
the same as before and was joined back to the company network. Later,
I encountered some problems so I used ping to check the connectivity
of the laptop with the company network. I pinged by computer name and
it returned the ip address and the results. The ping has gone through
alright. But the ip address returned (192.168.16.119) was actually
the ip address for another computer (adesktop) in the network. So I
then pinged again but using the other computer name (adesktop) this
time. The ping has gone through ok again and the ip address returned
this time is the same as the ping I had done before. Strange!!!

I then opened DHCP to check the record in there. the ip addr record
for mylaptop is 192.168.16.125 and the ip addr record for adesktop is
192.168.16.119. So the actual ip addr for mylaptop is 192.168.16.125.
(It was confirmed by ipconfig /all from mylaptop)

For some reasons, ping didn't return the correct ip addr. I guess
this cause me problem remote installing an antivirus product onto this
laptop.

Help please!!!!

TIA

el

E

el

Thanks a lot.

What I had done was to delete the problem record. I had done one more step to reload the zone record from server (right-clicked on Forward Lookup Zones > <<our_domain_name>> and then selected Reload).

Symptomatic of stale records. Use the DNS management console to locate and remove the stale record(s).

--
/kj
Hi all,

Help please!!!!

TIA

el

Ask a Question