Permissions problem

Lynn Trapp

Well,
Someone, perhaps inadvertently, has gave the Admin user for that system.mdw
file a password. Now that you are joined to that workgroup file, close
access and delete that system.mdw file. When you reopen access, it should
create a new one for you.

Geoff Taylor

Lynn...

I have attempted to join every .mwd file that exists in the environment in
which I have been working.
Nothing has changed the behaviour on trying to load my database.

It is an unbelievably stupid security system that entraps the user without
warning.
This has caused me as administrator a great deal of time and my users have
lost half a day's work.

Lynn Trapp said:
Geoff,
When you run Access there has to be a .mdw file that authenticates users --
even if Admin is the only user. When you run the security wizard it creates
a new .mdw file -- usually called secure.mdw. You may have gotten yourself
into this situation by being joined to that new group and, somehow, having
no valid users who can access the database with that group. Thus, if you
rejoin the original system.mdw file this may fix your problem.

--
Lynn Trapp
MS Access MVP

Geoff Taylor said:
Lynn
As described in the intial post...
Access 2002 using an access 2000 level database.

As described in the intial post, I have never needed to familiarise myself
with the permissions structure of Access. What exactly do you mean by "join
to the system.mdw file that ships with access"? What do you mean by "you"
are joined?

Lynn Trapp said:
What version of Access are you using? The first think I would try, Geoff,
is to make sure that you are joined to the system.mdw file that ships with
access.

--
Lynn Trapp
MS Access MVP
www.ltcomputerdesigns.com
Access Security: www.ltcomputerdesigns.com/Security.htm

Thanks Lynn...

I basically did not "do" anything.
I ran the security wizard to investigate whether this was implicated in
some
unusual record locking.
I have never run it before.
I did not create anything but cancelled out at the first oportunity.
I did not create a workgroup nor users.

There is no login prompt.
All I get is the "You do not have permission to open [name of mdb file]
file.
Get the owner or administrator to change the permissions to enable
you
open the file"

As I am the owner and administrator of the database, I find the message
particularly irksome.

This appears to be an 'open manhole cover' with no warning signs or safety
net as several other posters have the same experience.

I opened the security menu to investigate.
Now all users, including me, get the same error message that Arthur
has
described

When you "opened the security menu to investigate" just what did
you
do?
Did
you run the security wizard? Did you create a new workgroup? Did you
create
any new users? Are you getting a logon prompt.

--
Lynn Trapp
MS Access MVP
www.ltcomputerdesigns.com
Access Security: www.ltcomputerdesigns.com/Security.htm

Arthur...
Access2002
Mdb is Access2000

I have the exact same problem

I have a backend mdb file that has been in use for some time.
I opened the security menu to investigate.
Now all users, including me, get the same error message that Arthur
has
described..

I have never had to deal with 'workgroup' or 'user' permissions
in
the
current Novell environment.
The database has never had passwords nor permissions set.

I am effectively locked out of my own database.
This is despite me having created the mdb and being the admin.

This is an urgent problem. Whilst I have a backup from earlier
in
the
day,
users have updated the backend since then and if I drop back to that
version, data will be lost.

I am the owner/administrator/user of a mdb file. I must have boobed
but
wanted to change the security of the macros in that particular file
so
that
it would open always without prompting. Now I cannot open the file
at
all.
I get the error message "You do not have permission to open this
object
file.
Get the owner or administrator to change the permissions to enable
you
open the file" - or words to that effect. Hope you can assist.

Hi Lynn:

I did what you suggested. Closed access, searched for system.mdw, deleted
it and reopened Access. One of my files opens ok, but the smaller database
now only asks me for a password (no logon name)! Are we getting somewhere
with this yet? It is really infuriating.

Art

Rick Brandt