Permissions causing printing problem

I have an hplj5 on a win2k network. The win2k server shares the hplj5 correctly for all PC's except one. This one PC when users log in with domain admin rights prints fine. Log out, take away admin rights and log right back in again as the same user and printing will be incomplete. The print job will clear the queue, but major portions of the document will be missing. A windows 2000 print test page will only print the windows logo in the upper right corner when logged in as a domain user. Give that user domain admin rights and log right back in and the win2k test page prints fine. I have removed the printer from the PC and/or reloaded the drivers with no change.

Alan Morris\(MSFT\)

what are User permissions on

winnt\system32\spool\drivers?
winnt\system32\spool\printers? (or whatever the spool directory is)

If you change the spool drive to another disk that does not have special
restrictions, does the problem resolve? (Printers Folder / File / Server
Properties / Advanced)

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

rkenders said:
I have an hplj5 on a win2k network. The win2k server shares the hplj5
correctly for all PC's except one. This one PC when users log in with domain
admin rights prints fine. Log out, take away admin rights and log right back
in again as the same user and printing will be incomplete. The print job
will clear the queue, but major portions of the document will be missing. A
windows 2000 print test page will only print the windows logo in the upper
right corner when logged in as a domain user. Give that user domain admin
rights and log right back in and the win2k test page prints fine. I have
removed the printer from the PC and/or reloaded the drivers with no change.

What should the permissions be set to? Are you talking
about perms on the PC or on the Server?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh; [ln];kbhowto

rkenders said:
I have an hplj5 on a win2k network. The win2k server
shares the hplj5
correctly for all PC's except one. This one PC when users log in with domain
admin rights prints fine. Log out, take away admin rights and log right back
in again as the same user and printing will be incomplete. The print job
will clear the queue, but major portions of the document will be missing. A
windows 2000 print test page will only print the windows logo in the upper
right corner when logged in as a domain user. Give that user domain admin
rights and log right back in and the win2k test page prints fine. I have
removed the printer from the PC and/or reloaded the drivers with no change.

.

Alan Morris\(MSFT\)

on the server. Since this is an LJ5, I am assuming the driver that is
shipped with the operating system. If it's not, no guarantee on which
directories it needs access to.

I think the gotcha is when the Create folder, Create Files gets changed from
default

winnt\system32\spool\Printers
User permissions
Transverse Folder
Read Attributes
Read Extended Attributes
Create Files
Create Folders

winnt\system32\spool\drivers
User Permissions
Transverse Folder
Read Attributes
Read Extended Attributes
Read Permissions

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

rkenders said:
I have an hplj5 on a win2k network. The win2k server
shares the hplj5
correctly for all PC's except one. This one PC when users log in with domain
admin rights prints fine. Log out, take away admin rights and log right back
in again as the same user and printing will be incomplete. The print job
will clear the queue, but major portions of the document will be missing. A
windows 2000 print test page will only print the windows logo in the upper
right corner when logged in as a domain user. Give that user domain admin
rights and log right back in and the win2k test page prints fine. I have
removed the printer from the PC and/or reloaded the drivers with no change.

.

I'm using the stock w2k drivers. Why would this effect
only one user? I know I haven't set any special perms for
printing.
[...]

and
confers no rights.
news:B2B87C92-AA1D-4AE2-A8D6- (e-mail address removed)...