"performance" in windows task manager."cpu" is unusually high

Reaction score
Well, when i try to open any big applications (games like age of empires 3, or the sims 2) the computor freezes and shuts itself off, giving me a blue screen. All i can do then is push the power button and restart.

Thats my problem. I'm thinking i want to blame it on my high cpu usage. It is sitting around 50-90%.

I was just wondering how i can get less processes running.(when i try exit these processes they either pop back on the screen within a minute or shut down my computor)

here are some images

Attachments

• ss1.PNG
    ss1.PNG
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,903
  • ss2.PNG
    ss2.PNG
    31.7 KB · Views: 595

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
I and some other members on this s ite crunch our computers 24/7 for the crunching team and our comps run at 100% all the time cpu is at 100% all the time. I dont think it is your cpu that is jamming your system but your ram, how much ram do you have??

edit:just looked at your pic that you mposted and saw you have ample ram. hmmmmm.... im stumped heree but im sure some others will be along soon to help you out :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Dave.

Firstly, Does the blue screen say anything? If so what?

In your 2nd pic i see you have the system idle process at 49% dont worry about that. The one you should look at is the 'svchost.exe' This could be a legitimate window process, but it could be a virus of some other unwanted nasty.

Download Process Explorer and run it, it like task mamager. Run it and see where the svchost.exe thats using the cpu is running from. (it should be the 'system32' folder) (%windowsdir%system32)

Also try running some online anti virus scanners lilke Ksapersky, Panda Activescan or Trend Micro.

:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram

Hey,

Your could have some "dead spots" for lack of a better term.... on your RAM.

When the computer adds files to your RAM it get to the point where you have a "dead spot" it restarts or BSOD's.

The process will not be a virus but your machine may have a virus using this process to do its work.

Run SpySweeper, or windows defender, that will hunt it out for you.

Cya,

Brett

Reaction score
Thanks, i'll try some suggested stuff.

(V_R i'll check what the blue screen says next time it happens)

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
VR I think svchost.exe is a legitamate process

Yes it is most of the time, but not always, like i said in my first post.... :)

Check out the link below.

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/svchost/

EDIT: I missed out a bit on the third post when i first replied, (The bit about Process Explorer) I updated the post now.

Sorry. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
hm... i do have a way of getting rid of all the un necassary process's but its a bit dodgy (not illegal, but can result in pc mucking up).

Go to Run, type in 'msconfig' (without the ')
Go to services tab.
Click 'hide all microsoft services' option
then uncheck all of those process's. (Warning: read them through before unchecking them, there could be importnant ones).
Apply the changes.
When asked to reboot, do so.
When rebooted, ignore the pop up that comes up.

Its a last resort method, and i dont really recommend it, but its there if ya need it

Reaction score
Trend Micro found a bunch of things on my computor... my one svchost.exe still has a memory usuage of about 150,000k. though my cpu is back down to 2-4%.

I'm not really "computor inclined". could someone explain why there are like 7 svchost.exe's running?

Reaction score
V_R said:
Yes it is most of the time, but not always, like i said in my first post.... :)

Check out the link below.

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/svchost/

EDIT: I missed out a bit on the third post when i first replied, (The bit about Process Explorer) I updated the post now.

Sorry. :)

So, how do I know which svchost.exe's (if any) are bad? In the process explorer it says their discription is "Generic Host Process for Wind32 Services" company name "Microsoft Corporation"

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
davidd_45 said:
Trend Micro found a bunch of things on my computor... my one svchost.exe still has a memory usuage of about 150,000k. though my cpu is back down to 2-4%.

I'm not really "computor inclined". could someone explain why there are like 7 svchost.exe's running?
2-4% is not a worry ... but I would suggest you take a review of your "security" if Trend found a "bunch of things" if I were you.

It's not unusual to have 4/5/6 svhost files running ... that's Windows for you. :)

Reaction score
haha. okay. Thanks agian.

well the blue screen came up agian... this is what it said

STOP: c000021A (FATAL SYSTEM ERROR)
THE WINDOWS LOGON PROCESS SYSTEM PROCESS TERMINATED UNEXPECTEDLY WITH A STATUS OF OXC0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
THE SYSTEM HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
What secruity do you have on the pc? By that i mean anti virus, firewall and spyware blockers/removal tools.

EDIT: i see you have Zonealarm from the screen shot of task manager, 'vsmon.exe' I thought there should be one more 'zonealarm.exe' have you disabled it? I dont see an anti virus or spyware blocker...

davidd_45 said:
So, how do I know which svchost.exe's (if any) are bad? In the process explorer it says their discription is "Generic Host Process for Wind32 Services" company name "Microsoft Corporation"
Open PE and double click on the process you want info about, Then click on the 'Image' tab and make sure the path is 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe' Thats the easiest way. :thumb:

If they are not then tell us what it says.

That will keep you going for a bit, when you done we have to move on to 'the next step'. :D

By the way, did you remove the crap that Trend picked up?

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
davidd_45 said:
haha. okay. Thanks agian.

well the blue screen came up agian... this is what it said

STOP: c000021A (FATAL SYSTEM ERROR)
THE WINDOWS LOGON PROCESS SYSTEM PROCESS TERMINATED UNEXPECTEDLY WITH A STATUS OF OXC0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
THE SYSTEM HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN
Check these

Error Message: Stop c000021a {Fatal System Error} The Session Manager Initialization System Process...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317189

Security Accounts Manager Initialization Failed" Error Message When You Start Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316751

Stop 0x21a" Error Message Occurs If You Download a RIPrep Image
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308299

or try reinstalling windows xp

Reinstallation of XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315341

user.gif

Reaction score
-V_R
I am running Zone Alarm on my pc. I closed as many programs as i could when i took the screen shot. I mainly have zone alarm running in the background and play around with System Mechanic, just running different "features" almost every day. (all the virus checks and spy removal tools not finding anything, which i assume is a good thing)

All Scvhost.exe 's paths are c:\WINDOWS\System32|svchost.exe but I have a problem which i'm not sure how concerned i should be. When I hover my mouse over one of the svchost.exe in "process explorer" it comes up with a list of a lot of names. i'm not sure what it means, but i recognize a few of the items from https://www.pcreview.co.uk/startup/svchost.exe.php . Pictures below.

-Muckshifter
I will slowly battle my way though those sites u gave me.

Attachments

• peq.PNG
    peq.PNG
    25.6 KB · Views: 251

muckshifter

Reaction score
I would just ignore any reference to svchost for now ... you still haven't told us what "security" you are using ... SO

Install, update & run ...

SpywareBlaster
MS Windows Defender
Ad-AwareSE
Spybot - Search & Destroy

... you can find these programs HERE

I do not care what Antivirus you are using so un-install it and install Anti-Vir ... it is Free ... or consider using KAV ... it ain't free, but it is, in my humble opinion, the best AV program out there ... NOD32 is damn good too.

Do not run two AVs or Firewalls on the same PC at the same time.

If, after you use that lot, sorry but your the one with Windows, you come up clean and are still having problems ... use HijackThis, from that site above, and post a log and we'll take a look.

Have fun!

user.gif

Ask a Question