PCMag-ware

BEN RITCHEY

FamilyNet Newsgate

* An ongoing debate between Jo and All rages on ...

| J> What is the 'ware' status with regard to pcmag apps that are
| J> obtainable elsewhere? Is there a list anywhere?
| J> Should there be? :)

Although freeware, they are not re-distributable (never were, actually)
though I do have a complete collection (offline, one must request them via
E-mail or this forum) covering everything they released from 1985 (DOS
stuff) up to February 2003 when they went payware.

--
Be well,

: Ben aka cMech http://bellsouthpwp.net/c/m/cmech617/
:
+ WildCat! Board 24/7 (337) 232-4155 33.6kBps 8,N,1
--- GoldEd+/DOS v1.1.5
# Origin: FamilyNet - The Positronium Repository (8:8/337)

FamilyNet <> Internet Gated Mail
http://www.fmlynet.org

Roger Johansson

BEN RITCHEY said:
Although freeware, they are not re-distributable (never were, actually)

You are wrong.
They were released for free distribution in 1994.

Haven't you read this text?

From: (e-mail address removed) (Robin Raskin)
Newsgroups: comp.archives.msdos.announce
Subject: PC Mag files on the Internet
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 1994 04:02:05 GMT
Sender: (e-mail address removed)

To all,

Thank you for taking the time to write regarding PC Mag's distribution
of utilities. The many letters I have received on this subject have
reaffirmed my respect for both the Internet and the power of the written
word.

Let me respond to the closest thing to an original posting I can find:

This message was posted on the SimTel Software Repository :
Because of a claim by PC Magazine that it has exclusive rights to the
distribution of their programs on the Internet, the entire /msdos/pcmag
directory and some programs in other directories have been deleted from
the SimTel Software Repository.

SimTel's posting is in response to a column I wrote in the July Issue
of PC Magazine (page 30). In that column I wrote about the experiences
PC Magazine had while creating their WWW server. Our server is a
compliment to PC Magazine and a service to you. It is NOT, nor was
it ever, intended to be the sole source of PC Magazine utilities.

Posting the PC Magazine utilities on the Internet is welcome. PC
Magazine utilities can be copied, but are copyrighted. You are free to
make copies and distribute the utilities to others provided no charge is
involved. Making copies or using any portion for commercial purposes is
prohibited.

I am sorry, that because of some unfortunate wording, I may have
inadvertently confused some of the ftp administrators who subsequently
responded by removing the utilities from their repositories. I will
be contacting them individually to help restore their services.

I truly regret any inconvenience or ill-will that the column caused.
You can help me by posting this message anywhere you see people asking
about PC Mag utilities.

Robin Raskin
PC Magazine
(e-mail address removed)

This text makes all PCMag utilities released before this date
into freely distributible freeware, and there is no clause in
this text which reserves a right to change the license in the
future, so it is valid forever.

Phred

From: (e-mail address removed) (Robin Raskin)
Newsgroups: comp.archives.msdos.announce
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 1994 04:02:05 GMT
Sender: (e-mail address removed)

[...]

Yeah. The trouble is, I'm the only bloke around who's still using
1994 and earlier software. (But I do use some later stuff too, such
as News Xpress 2.01 from 1997. ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

Roger Johansson

Yeah. The trouble is, I'm the only bloke around who's still using
1994 and earlier software. (But I do use some later stuff too, such
as News Xpress 2.01 from 1997. ;-)

There were a lot of these utilities that were released before that date
in 94, and several of them are still very useful, that is why we are
concerned about their licence.

Phred

There were a lot of these utilities that were released before that date
in 94, and several of them are still very useful, that is why we are
concerned about their licence.

Oh... You mean there are two of us? Glad to meet you, Roger. ;-)

Cheers, Phred.