PC starts but no image on monitor or beep codes

Reaction score
I have just re-built my pc, it was a fujitsu-siemens, their was an error message saying the system cannot recognise the hard drive. so i decided to replace the HD, Motherboard and update to DDram, the new board is chaintech CT-S848P that is SATA ready. The new hard drive is a samsung 80gb 7200rpm SATA. and the DDRAM is 256mb. all from pc world. I also decided to change the system case to a janitec. All i kept from the old comp is the p4 processer, nvada gforce 4 graphics card, the power supply, the cd drives and floppy drive. The computer starts up,all fans kick in, lights come on and im sure i can hear the harddrive humming. When i turn the power on the keyboard lights up then goes off, and the mouse light stays on all the time but theres no picture and no beep codes????? also the floppy disc drive doesnt light up or seem to work?????? All connections seem to be correct and all has power. Can any one help? Cheers.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
No Beep ... dead MB

Or it could be ... something else.

Disconect the HD, CD & floppy ... try again, check that all other components are seated properly, it can take some reasonable force to seat the graphics card & memory.

We need to hear one beep before we can go any further.

Most new HDs come with their jumper set to "cable select", we don't want that, so check yours is set to Master.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Most new HDs come with their jumper set to "cable select", we don't want that, so check yours is set to Master.
Is it not true that SATA drives - with the exception of Western Digital - don't have jumper settings?

I don't know for sure as the only SATA drives I have are Western Digital, but I've read elsewhere that all other brands of SATA drives are jumperless.

Perhaps somebody could confirm/disprove?

Reaction score
iv'e never touched a jumper or seen a jumper on any SATA drive ive used...samsung and maxtor

oh wait...he has the samsung, same as the 3 i have in this house... no jumpers.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
OK ok, you two, I see these new reading glasses were a wast of a fiver.

:p

Reaction score
You say

"The computer starts up,all fans kick in, lights come on and im sure i can hear the harddrive humming."

"When i turn the power on" (IS THIS THE SAME TIME AS ABOVE?) the keyboard lights up then goes off, and the mouse light stays on all the time but theres no picture and no beep codes????? also the floppy disc drive doesnt light up or seem to work?????? All connections seem to be correct and all has power. (HAVE YOU PHYSICALLY SEEN THE FANS WORKING - DO THEY THEN STOP, ARE THERE ANY LIGHTS ON THE MB - DO YOU SWITCH SYSTEM OFF OR DOES IT CRASH??)

I assume your monitor is working and m/b connected to the case speaker!!

I'm no expert but I had a similar problem (ongoing) when I swapped mb, processor and RAM and put them into my existing case with all my old hardware.

Novatech advised the following (to eliminate the possibility that the mb is shorting against the case or something else).

Take mb out of case and place on a flat surface (with anti static bag underneath!!!)

The graphics card needs to be connected and because of the metal fixings u need to raise the mb off the work surface e.g Work surface, book, anti static bag, mb. Now the protruding fixing doesnt push the card out of its socket.

Connect monitor and keyboard.

Connect to PSU (because of cable lengths I found it easiest to dismount the PSU from the case!!)

Locate the power on pins that go to the case button. Touch these with an earthed screwdriver.

The Mb should power up and the keyboard will allow u to access the BIOS.

Adding additional hardware piece by piece may identify the problem or it could be something shorting against the case.

Of couse if none of this happens you have a hardware fault on the mb.

Good luck

Reaction score
Iv given up, im just going to take it to a shop and get it done and tested. Dont fancy blowing up anything . Thanks for the help any way.

Reaction score
Yeah simmilar problems. I've had this problem now over 3 completely different computers.

But! One I got started again. Ever heard of an earthing problem? No neither had I, (and I am a student softy). There are some computers that have to be 'earthed' before they will start properly. IE touch them to 'ground' for a while before turning them on.

Right now I can hear peoples screams of weirdo. Well I was dealing with a packaged computer Compaq 400mhz for mum. Whole thing worked. I pulled it apart to clean it and turned it back on... no image. My mates started taunting about softys not being allowed near hardware etc etc. After some serious hunting on the net, I heard about this earthing. I left it on the ground (on a metal door frame) and plugged in but off. Came back in a the next morning and disco! Working system.

Go figure. The other two, alas, don't work. One's another ancient 400mhz, the others a 2.4 Pentium, Altech motherboard and a Geforce 4, 256mb DDR. All brand new and no image on monitor. I am yet to try to earth it though, will get back to you.

Reaction score
hay there Tanker I have got the same mb (ct-s848p) and I am having the same problem I was wondering if u found out the problem and wood able to help me. Please e-mail me on (e-mail address removed) thanx

Last edited:
Reaction score
Got it looked at, turns out the new mother board and p4 had given up. So i thought sod it and decided to build a fully modded monster! i took the duff m/board back to PC world and they would only swap it for another, after 20 mins of arguing for my money back i managed to get a better chaintech zenith ZNF3-250 (paid the difference). So now i have that, i need to get an AMD Athlon 64 processor, which one i aint decided, any ideas? Also im now going to add corsair DDR 400 memory, possibly 2gig worth. Also need a new graphics card, but not sure which way to go with that? Ordered a few UV case fans, UV braiding kit, UV lights, UV SATA cables and new DVD writer and DVD-ROM drive. Could any one tell me what type of good proccessor coolers are availabl for 754 socket? also is grounding your self on a grounded radiator suficient to get rid of static before working on your pc? thats what i did before i installed my new board, but was worried about building up static from the carpet. how much would break a new m/board?

Reaction score
Computer problems plz help

Just last week I started having problems with the computer, it turns out the battery in the mother board had gon, so I replaced that and now every time I turn the computer on everything starts up fine as normal but on the screen i get the message signal cable not connected! does anyone know what this means? Any way I have to turn the computer off at the mains to get it off and when I turn it back on it works fine. this happens every time I turn the computer on. Can somebody help me please if they have had similar problems or know what the problem could be.

Thanks

Ask a Question