PC locked up running Window's AntiSpyware (Beta)

Tony

Anyone else experiancing this problem?
Loaded this programme for the first time yesterday and so
far not been able to complete a scan.

Locates a number of problems (8) but locks when detecting
a registry key with Altnet as the last title.

If run in safe mode then same problem, except that it
just goes into snail mode when the same registry key is
located. I left this running for hours in the attempt
that it would eventually complete its cycle but no such
luck and actually locked completely.

System looks promising and I am looking forward to having
a full working package.

Steve Dodson [MSFT]

Tony,

Can you try the scan in safe mode? I know it will be hard to read, but you
may be able to complete a scan after trying that.

-steve

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
MCSE, CISSP
PSS Security

originated.

Ronnie Cooper

Hello, This is my first post to this group, so I hope I'm presenting this
issue properly.
I've experienced similar problems to Tony- when I do the scan, I've tried
just the memory scan and a smart scan both. For the memory scan it got to
"scanned files - 20797" with the smart scan, it got to "scanned files -
20470". It always stops at the same point -
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current
Version\Uninstall\TTool_UNINSTALL, then I receive an error message stating
my virtual memory minimum is too low and it totally locks everything up. It
appears that it is still running, and the icon in the tool bar says it's
running, but after about 30 minutes of this, when I try to close the
program, it says it's not responding and I have to shut everything down to
get out of it.
Using the memory only scan, it scanned 1766 memory processess and with smart
scan only 57. Each produced 2 memory processes infected.Each scan produced
19 threats detected and similar amount of signatures for each one that
showed up.
I am running XP - Home with the SP2 installed.

Thanks for any help on this.
Ron Cooper

"Steve Dodson [MSFT]" said:
Tony,

Can you try the scan in safe mode? I know it will be hard to read, but you
may be able to complete a scan after trying that.

-steve

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
MCSE, CISSP
PSS Security

rights.

originated.
From: "Tony" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Tony" <[email protected]>
Subject: PC locked up running Window's AntiSpyware (Beta)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 02:11:20 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements

Anyone else experiancing this problem?
Loaded this programme for the first time yesterday and so
far not been able to complete a scan.

Locates a number of problems (8) but locks when detecting
a registry key with Altnet as the last title.

If run in safe mode then same problem, except that it
just goes into snail mode when the same registry key is
located. I left this running for hours in the attempt
that it would eventually complete its cycle but no such
luck and actually locked completely.

System looks promising and I am looking forward to having
a full working package.

Bill Sanderson

Ronnie--do you know what program or application that TTool subdirectory is
related to?

Is it something that you are able to uninstall, perhaps, or do a repair
install on? Can you provide a URL from which the app which creates thid
directory can be downloaded?
--
FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.txt

From: "Tony" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Tony" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 02:11:20 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements

Anyone else experiancing this problem?
Loaded this programme for the first time yesterday and so
far not been able to complete a scan.

Locates a number of problems (8) but locks when detecting
a registry key with Altnet as the last title.

If run in safe mode then same problem, except that it
just goes into snail mode when the same registry key is
located. I left this running for hours in the attempt
that it would eventually complete its cycle but no such
luck and actually locked completely.

System looks promising and I am looking forward to having
a full working package.

Joined
Feb 9, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Tony said:
Anyone else experiancing this problem?
Loaded this programme for the first time yesterday and so
far not been able to complete a scan.

Locates a number of problems (8) but locks when detecting
a registry key with Altnet as the last title.

If run in safe mode then same problem, except that it
just goes into snail mode when the same registry key is
located. I left this running for hours in the attempt
that it would eventually complete its cycle but no such
luck and actually locked completely.

System looks promising and I am looking forward to having
a full working package.
Yes, a year late but yes... and since I'm running the latest Beta version they apparently haven't fixed it yet. It's sad that such a small thing can stop them so dead in their tracks. Eventualy said it ran out of 'virtual memory'.
The problem isn't hard to fix, if you can find the registry key it's freezing up on. Apparently it's either mal formed or the permissions are set so that Beta can't open the key to examine it and it goes into an endless loop. In my case, the key was the TTOOL_UNINSTALL key and it wouldn't delete. But, what has happened is that permissions have been turned off for the entry in the registry so that even the administrator cannot delete it. I was trying various methods to remove it and when it finally worked I wasn't sure exactly what I had done; but, it involved taking ownership of the registry entry. Right clicking on the registry key.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall]
TTOOL_UNINSTALL
/Permissions/Advanced
And this is where I get fuzzy; but, basically it wouldn't let me delete it because I didn't have permission and so, as administrator, I kept trying things until I replaced permissions and got administrator control back. Then, I could delete the file (sic). Sorry I didn't pay more attention. But, the registry entry had all the Permissions turned off and they were grayed out so I had to wrest control back. If I ever see it again, I'll pay more attention.