PC Auto Shut off - post in hardware only

Nick

My problem is that after a while playing a 3D game (currently Enemy
Territory) my pc shuts off .. no blue screen or warning just shuts down i.e.
stops completey. I am then unable to reboot the pc until I disconnect the
power cable for about 10 seconds. I've tried ensuring that all my bios
settings are not agressive and i've even turned the settings on my gfx card
to well below the default setting.

My pc is as follows

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 2.6GHZ 800mhz fsb
1GB pc 2700
Galaxy GF FX 5900
2 * 120gb Maxtor SATA150 HD's as raid
2 * 120gb Seagate IDE 133 HD's as raid

There is also no info in any of the events tabs.

Any help or ideas welcome

Thanks

V Green

Nick said:
My problem is that after a while playing a 3D game (currently Enemy
Territory) my pc shuts off .. no blue screen or warning just shuts down i.e.
stops completey. I am then unable to reboot the pc until I disconnect the
power cable for about 10 seconds. I've tried ensuring that all my bios
settings are not agressive and i've even turned the settings on my gfx card
to well below the default setting.

My pc is as follows

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 2.6GHZ 800mhz fsb
1GB pc 2700
Galaxy GF FX 5900
2 * 120gb Maxtor SATA150 HD's as raid
2 * 120gb Seagate IDE 133 HD's as raid

There is also no info in any of the events tabs.

Any help or ideas welcome

Thanks

Check:

PSU too small.

One or more cooling fans not working (PSU, CPU,
vid card, etc.).

neil

I thought PC2700 was for 333Mhz FSB should you be using PC3200.???
But then again perhaps you'd be lucky to boot let alone play a 3D game.

Neil

Nathan McNulty

This is what I said to your other two posts as well ;)

My first thought would be overheating, but I doubt that that is really
the problem. Do make sure that the heat isn't getting too high though.
I feel the real problem is most likely your Power Supply. What Power
Supply do you have? For that system, you will probably want at least
350 Watts. That video card will eat through the power as will the
motherboard/processor. You can always buy a new Power Supply and see if
that fixes the problem and if not, return it (just double check their
return policy first) ;)

pinickitty

Memory has been working fine as the speed is determined automatically

PSU is a 550w with dual fans

case has 5 fans already plus 2 behind hard drives 1 on video card 1 on cpu
and 1 on chipset.

have tried a different video card yesterday and the problem still
persists.

Will be trying to use some different memory tonight but any more advise is
welcome.

Many thanks

Nick

pinickitty

I'm going to buy a 650w PSU at lunchtime..should this be large enough to
power CPU 2 optical drives 4 hard drives and a video card that requires
extra power from psu not just the mainboard?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Nick

Bought new 650watt triple fan PSU today..played 3D game for 3 hours and no
problem.

Many thanks to Nathan and all the others who tried to help too..

Regards

Nick