Partitions

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Are there any partition experts amongst the PCR clan?
I was thinking of putting in a partition onto my HD and was wondering is it much bother etc,etc. I would like to split the drive so i could stash gear i didnt wantto access all the time without worryin if i'm doing anything by accident or without knowing what i'm really doing cos i have been known to tamper and meddle with stuff. Well, it is my stuff.
Any suggestions would be gr8
:nod: Zzzzz

Reaction score
captain zed said:
Hi folks,
Are there any partition experts amongst the PCR clan?
I was thinking of putting in a partition onto my HD and was wondering is it much bother etc,etc. I would like to split the drive so i could stash gear i didnt wantto access all the time without worryin if i'm doing anything by accident or without knowing what i'm really doing cos i have been known to tamper and meddle with stuff. Well, it is my stuff.
Any suggestions would be gr8

Hi,

I have used Partition Magic before and that is very easy to use, I have also used Acronis Partition Suite that also does a good job. There are free ones out they are the only ones that I really know of. I am sure other people will post back with some free ones as well. How big is your current HDD?

Hope this helps,

Regards

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you have Vista, there's a partition manager built in already (run compmgmt.msc and look under disk management)... however resizing partitions does have the potential for you to lose data if something goes wrong. If you do go ahread with it, be sure to back up all your stuff and make sure you've read the "how to" in the application help :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://partedmagic.com/
happywave.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:

Thanks for the link dude. It looks a bit scary to me cos i'm only in the learning stages of cyber-osis(made up word from zeds dictionary). Whats all this linux stuff? Is that a windows rival??
I was hoping that partitioning was easy peasy. Maybe i'll wait a bit till i can walk before i run. Or just get a seperate drive,but i'd rather learn how its done.
Thanks again for the tip.

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
I would use a separate HDD. They are so cheap now

I was hoping to get away from extra cables and parts. The house is getting cluttered with cables everywhere.I have a lot of electricals about the place.
A seperate HDD would be simpler though cos i'm not sure if i could handle partitioning yet.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
If you have Vista, there's a partition manager built in already (run compmgmt.msc and look under disk management)... however resizing partitions does have the potential for you to lose data if something goes wrong. If you do go ahread with it, be sure to back up all your stuff and make sure you've read the "how to" in the application help :)

Thanks for that Ian, i didnt know i had that function on windows. I might give it a try later or at least have a look at it.
Thanks again.
:) Zzzzz

Reaction score
wizkid said:
Hi,

I have used Partition Magic before and that is very easy to use, I have also used Acronis Partition Suite that also does a good job. There are free ones out they are the only ones that I really know of. I am sure other people will post back with some free ones as well. How big is your current HDD?

Hope this helps,

Regards
Thanks man, as the saying goes " Every little helps".
I'm still undecided about what to do at the moment.
:) Zzzzz

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Parted Magic is run from a Live CD and is dead easy to use. Download the .iso file , burn to disk, use the Live CD. Once you have the thing up and running you will see how easy it is. You can even connect to the internet from the Live CD to get some help if you are unsure as to what to do next.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Second reccomendation for Parted magic, I've used it and it really is dead simple to use.

I think triplexdread meant an internal hard disk rather than an external one, so no extra cables to worry about.

A 320Gb SATA II can be had for £40.00 plus postage or buy a known brand from PC World, their prices for HDD's are actually quite reasonable.

And they're a doddle to fit, if you need help in fitting, ask here.

Reaction score
Partition magic 8.0 is what i often use...it's pretty easy to use, does the job ok and gives you the option of creating emergency restore disk's if things go pete tong - never hd a failure with it personally. Cheers.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, I have Partition Magic 8 too, have used it lots over the years, a fine piece of kit.

But it costs.

If I were in Mr Zed's shoes I'd go for Parted Magic or the inbuilt Vista facility - both cost nowt :)

Reaction score
Thanks lads for all the input....i'll have a think. I dont think i can change the HD in a laptop can I??
Anyway, right now i have two other little problems i havespotted on my peride and joy. I'm gonna start a new thread in the general discussion slot cos i'm steering away from the partition buzz for now. Also i slid into senior member status without even noticing. Am i allowed to steer away to a new thread??

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ah, when I posted I had not realised it was a laptop. You can change the hard disk in some laptops but as far as I know you can't have two disks.

You are now a senior member cos you made over 100 posts - congrats :thumb: Are you allowed to steer away to a new thread? Not sure what you mean tbh but probably :D

Ask a Question