Partitioning Problems

I am trying to partition my Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB hard drive, but for
some reason, when I enter Disk Management, it shows that my disk is totally
full. (i.e with no unallocated space available) However, when I go to My
Computer, click Local Disk, then Properties, it shows my disk as having
nearly 50 gigabytes of free space. Can someone help me? Because I tried
looking at Help, and other forums but I still can't seem to find a remedy.

John Barnes

free space is within a partition unallocated space is on a physical drive
and not included in any partition.

John Barnes

Which Disk Management are you using. The one in Vista would let you shrink
the partition with the free space and create some unallocated space you
could then partition.

John Barnes

Sorry, that version doesn't have that ability. You will need a third party
program to do it. There are some free ones around, and Partition Magic
works but costs more than adding a new drive, which is what I would suggest
you do.

Mark D. VandenBerg

The ONLY freebie I would hesitantly suggest is "Partition Logic" as I know
the developer a little and he's a straight shooter. Answers his emails the
same day. Folds his own socks. But it will not work with a Phoenix BIOS at
this time. Google it.

Sorry, that version doesn't have that ability. You will need a third party
program to do it. There are some free ones around, and Partition Magic
works but costs more than adding a new drive, which is what I would suggest
you do.

John Barnes

A nice feature added to the Vista version

Mark D. VandenBerg said:
The ONLY freebie I would hesitantly suggest is "Partition Logic" as I know
the developer a little and he's a straight shooter. Answers his emails
the
same day. Folds his own socks. But it will not work with a Phoenix BIOS
at
this time. Google it.

Sorry, that version doesn't have that ability. You will need a third
party
program to do it. There are some free ones around, and Partition Magic
works but costs more than adding a new drive, which is what I would
suggest
you do.

message

Chad Harris

Caffeine:

Another freebie I would unheasitantly suggest is Ranish; also it gets
uniformly good reviews on the web:
http://www.ranish.com/part/

I was glad to learn about Partition Logic from Mark V., and John Barnes
makes a compelling point about the cost of new hard drive space with rebates
these days. We've given you two reasonably good free partition managers to
use; hope that helps you out. If you have enough room to install Vista as a
dual boot, remember Vista has the ability to shrink or expand partitions
and what I'm getting at here is that if you can get rid of enough on the
partition you intend to put Vista on, and get it installed somewhere, then
you can take advantage of the nice feature now in Disk Management many of us
have wanted for a good while.

*Take Back Your Space*

I'm not preaching to you--I'm speaking from a lot of memories. If it will
help you to get space, check out C:\ and C:\Windows for mini-dumps which can
take up to a GB, be sure you trim space hogs. Eliminate anything in recycle
bin; take a look at mp3s and the CDs you ripped. I find often I can save a
lot of space by ditching the cuts of CDs that take a lot of space I'll never
listen to selectively.

System restore defaults to 12% in Windows XP and you simply don't need most
of it. Hit the Windows key + Pause Break or put sysdm.cpl in run and take a
look at that system restore slider and move it toward 2-3%. If you have
been saving any installs to a downloads folder, you may also buy space by
getting rid of the setup files for a number of apps that aren't necessary to
uninstall. This depends of course on the app.

Good luck,

CH

Mark D. VandenBerg

I always forget about Ranish! Yes, it is widely respected as well. I do
use PartitionMagic so I don't often remember the others. Good call, Chad.

"Chad Harris" <Bushisamoron.net> wrote in message
[...]

I think that i'm going to use Ranish, as PartitionLogic requires a floppy
disk drive, and I do not have one, seeing as mine simply died a few weeks
ago.

Thanks for all your help.

Colin Barnhorst

Too bad your floppy drive died. You could've taken advantage of the methods
outlined in "How to avoid overwriting XP" below.

Yeah I know. Now I can't use most of the good free partitioning apps out
there. It's weird seeing as my entire computer is less than a year old...

: