From: "Rob" <>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.periphs.scanners
Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2004 11:30 AM
Subject: Parallel port scanner and Win XP

Hi,

I have a Microtek Phantom parallel port scanner that is not supported
under Win XP, only the USB version has drivers for Win XP. I have
seen on similar posts that I could use the TWAIN driver from an
application like Photoshop. However, does anyone think a USB to
parallel conversion cable work - sold to drive parallel port printers
from USB port. Like this cable here:
http://kryton.clickandbuild.com/cnb...&op=catalogue-products-null&prodCategoryID=24.

Or any more tips on using the XP Windows Image Acquisition driver??

TVMIA

Rob,
I used a USB-parallel cable on a old Mustek scanner under Win-XP
for about three months. The only reason I stopped was because a power surge
fried the scanner.

I do recall some problems in getting the cable configured, however once
that was fixed the scanner worked fine.

Si Ballenger

Hi,

I have a Microtek Phantom parallel port scanner that is not supported
under Win XP, only the USB version has drivers for Win XP. I have
seen on similar posts that I could use the TWAIN driver from an
application like Photoshop. However, does anyone think a USB to
parallel conversion cable work - sold to drive parallel port printers
from USB port. Like this cable here:
http://kryton.clickandbuild.com/cnb...&op=catalogue-products-null&prodCategoryID=24.

Or any more tips on using the XP Windows Image Acquisition driver??

You might want to go to the below site and get the userport.zip
file and run userport. Useport sets XP to allow hardware access
to the parallel port and such by older programs. This may allow
the win98 drivers to work with XP. You might also get the
Scammaker 2.6 drivers for XP. I've got an old Microtek E3 scanner
that uses the parallel port and this driver works for it on XP.

http://www.embeddedtronics.com/design&ideas.html