Pagefile Problems >>Low on memory<<How to delete and make new

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000' started by dcdon, Sep 12, 2003.

  1. dcdon

    dcdon Guest

    Getting popups of Low memory. Says ran out of space and had to create a
    temporary pagefile.

    Please point me or tell me how to remove the temporary pagefile and the
    regular pagefile to create a new one.

    I can no longer increase the pagefile size. Whatever it does, it does not
    change the pagefile allocation.I was changing the pagefile size in the
    registry, but the entries have changed to something probably to do with the
    temporary pagefile.

    I have 2,016 Meg of DDR PC2700333 and was running a pagefile size of 1.5
    Gig.

    Perplexed

    ..

    TIA
    don
    ---------

    dcdon, Sep 12, 2003

  2. dcdon

    dcdon Guest

    So far I gotten to the point of finding out where the temporary pagfile is
    loactes and the OS is using it right now, so I changed the name of the
    regular pagefile, but have not booted or done anything else. How do I creat
    a new pagefile to replace the one I changed the extension of? and then what
    do I do with the temporary one. Teh registry entry being changed, I guess to
    point to the temporary one.

    I'm trying not to do anything foolish. So HELP. LOL

    don
    ---------

    dcdon, Sep 12, 2003

  3. dcdon

    dcdon Guest

    For those who are intersted in redoing your pagefile, after it has squawked
    about low virtual memory and and finally it comes back with a statement that
    it created a temporary pagefile. Also in my little delima, Dave Patrick was
    very kind to help with adjusting the pagefile size in the registry, after
    the applet failed to increase the size. It would actually work to increase
    the size; stange. Don't know how come. But here's what was found out and
    actually did to delete the old pagefile and create a new. Thanks again,
    Dave.

    1.) My pagefile, "pagefile.sys", located in %windir% (most normally in
    C:\pagefile.sys). It's a hidden file.

    2.) The temporary pagefile is "temppg.sys", located
    %windir%\system32\temppf.sys . It's hidden.

    3.) Did a search (quicker) for pagefile.sys and renamed it pagefilesys.old
    in case it didn't work. (With no temppg.sys, pagefile.sys can not be deleted
    without using the Recovery Console). Well that worked. (But I wondered if
    there is a way to make windows create a temppf.sys, then it would work out
    for someone with the problem, but does not have the Recovery Console
    installed, hmmmm).

    4.) Edit the registry(regedt32, not regedit) to build a pagefile. The
    location is HKLC\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager in the
    left pane. In right pane click on PagingFiles:REG_M... once to highlight it.
    Use the menu bar to create a new pagefile path. Click on "edit" in drop down
    click "Multi String...", and place the path where the NEW pagefile will
    reside, like "C:\pagefile.sys 2000 2000". (The first 2000 is the initial and
    the second is the maximum). I used the same size(in Megs) as my RAM for a
    starting point. "Click OK" to close and then close the Registry. (BTW, I
    did a search in regedit.exe and did a search to find the location of
    temppf.sys. It was located real close, right in the SessionManager folder)

    5.) Shutdown and left off 20 seconds(long enough for a few hail Marys),
    crossed my fingers and booted.

    After booting and checking to make sure everything was working A-OK, I did a
    search for "pagefile" and it was where it should be, but saw and left the
    ".old" file 'til later. Did a search for temppf.sys and temppf and nada.
    Then felt like it would be okay to delete the old file, so did a *.old
    search and deleted, but it said it couldn't send to the "recycle bin",
    because it was too large, did I want to delete it anyway. Well sometimes I
    would have said "no", cause can't get it back without trouble. Did it.
    Checked the applet by resetting the pagefile to 4000 4000, and it worked
    fine. Before I had been getting a BSOD, so after I restarted and it was
    working, went back an changed it back to 2000, and amazingly, it worked.
    Viola.

    One thing still bothers me; takes a pretty good while to shutdown (I have
    group Edit set for 5 trys, too), and it seems to ge writing the files
    necessay to reboot, because the CPU is more than adequate. Also has long
    startup. Would one of you guys be so kind as to give some ideas what to do
    for this??

    thanks,

    don
    BTW, If anyone needs to know about creating a new pagefile, while the system
    is still using it, I found out.

    dcdon, Sep 13, 2003