Subject: P4C800 E Deluxe and XP SP2 - warning
From: Chris (e-mail address removed)
Date: 8/16/2004 1:50 PM Eastern Standard Time

Just to record my experience yesterday. SP2 said it had installed but
the computer hung on reboot and would not allow safe mode, repairs or
anything else. To cut a long story short (and many hours later), I
eventually found that flashing the BIOS to 1017 cured the issue. I
had previously been on 1014. Be warned. Do NOT try to install SP2 on
Bios 1014 or earlier. I cannot speak for 1015 or 1016 but 1017 works.
Needless to say the Asus site does not mention any issues but someone
there must be aware!

Applied to my 1016 Bios machine without any problems.

Philip Callan

Chris said:
Just to record my experience yesterday. SP2 said it had installed but
the computer hung on reboot and would not allow safe mode, repairs or
anything else. To cut a long story short (and many hours later), I
eventually found that flashing the BIOS to 1017 cured the issue. I
had previously been on 1014. Be warned. Do NOT try to install SP2 on
Bios 1014 or earlier. I cannot speak for 1015 or 1016 but 1017 works.
Needless to say the Asus site does not mention any issues but someone
there must be aware!

ASUS doesn't mention issues, because its not the BIOS, I've installed
SP2 on (1) 1014 ver BIOS and (3) 1016's at a clients, I wont even put
that crap on my box. (which is 1015)

Its Microsoft that is FUBAR, with their 'disservice packs'

I had a few people who sp2 crapped out their box from a fresh install,
even thought sp1a worked fine, and all up to date before /any/
applications were installed.

MS has admitted that there are programs that will not work, and that as
many as 3/5 test PC's failed to reboot after SP2 installation, and the
steps they advice to 'remove' the sp2 don't even work for some people.

Tim

Phillip,

Thanks for the interesting post. I would like to read more about what you
mention here:

"> ... and that as
many as 3/5 test PC's failed to reboot after SP2 installation, and the
steps they advice to 'remove' the sp2 don't even work for some people."

Do you have any hyperlinks? I suppose the reason why I have not seen any of
this is that these peoples computers are broken so can't post to the
appropriate news groups...

You also said:

"MS has admitted that there are programs that will not work, "

BTW: MS ran seminars on what will break, why it will break, what to do to
fix the breaks etc. all over the world - even in the islands in the south
west pacific! In summary the reasons for the breaks are: NX bit now works,
firewall, tighter security (EG on DCOM).

- Tim

DrHibbert

I have the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe with its original BIOS and I installed
the XP Service Pack with no problems.

DrHibbert

Philip Callan

Tim said:
Phillip,

Thanks for the interesting post. I would like to read more about what you
mention here:

"> ... and that as

Do you have any hyperlinks? I suppose the reason why I have not seen any of
this is that these peoples computers are broken so can't post to the
appropriate news groups...
http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=SP2+3+of+5&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&[email protected]&rnum=1

Original story at:
http://www.crn.com/sections/breakin...id=VVPFIRZXAVGHYQSNDBESKHA?articleId=23905071
You also said:

"MS has admitted that there are programs that will not work, "

BTW: MS ran seminars on what will break, why it will break, what to do to
fix the breaks etc. all over the world - even in the islands in the south
west pacific! In summary the reasons for the breaks are: NX bit now works,
firewall, tighter security (EG on DCOM).

- Tim

I'm aware of the reasons there are programs that will not work,
including Microsoft's own CRM software, if Microsoft has such a list of
growing programs that don't work:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17869
Microsoft XP SP2's long List of Doom

For the list.

Visual Studio,.NET
Microsoft

SQL
Microsoft

Microsoft Operations Manager 2000
Duh....

Windows Scanner and Camera Wizard
A piece of Windows XP itself.

Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003
Duh...

Microsoft SNA 4.0 SP3
Duh...

Not to mention a bunch of third party....

So if /Microsoft/ can't even make its own programs work properly with
SP2, but yet just because they 'ran seminars' around the world, that
means that it is magically all the other ISV's fault?

This is Ford, we're going to add a new piece to your engine, and all
these aftermarket parts will cease to work, as well as these Ford brand
products.....

Do you see the stupidity?

If they had coded it properly to begin with, it wouldn't need fixing now.

Tim

I suggest you re-read the links you posted.

The one from CNN pertains to a build of SP2 RC2 and so its content should be
seen as obsolete. Further, many articles such as this were being published
well *after* the subject matter they pertained to was obsolete. Articles
about RC2 were still appearing after SP2 RTM.

The link to MS KB Q842242 details what to do to when and allow exceptions
etc. - it does not detail any broken systems. In some cases it is server
software that would not normally be on a non Domain member XP system, in
others the vendor needs to add their own application into the list of
predefined exceptions and in others again, it is valid for the programs not
to be in the list as the End User should not be able to tinker with the
setting. Nothing on that list is Broken IMHO or that I know of (I do use a
lot of the MS stuff on the list).

Sure there will be broken apps. But that is a good thing. Each app that
breaks for real reasons is one that was "broken" before and you didn't know
about it. (EG for NX reasons, tighter security etc.). Recall the transition
of Win9x applications to XP? Or Win3.1 applications to Win9x? A lot broke -
mainly due to poor programming. Some broke due to restrictions in accessing
hardware...

On my Server:
Windows 2003 Server with
SQL Server 2000
Exchange Servcer 2000
HIS (had SNA 2.12, 3, and 4 over the last few weeks doing some testing)
ISA Server 2000,
IIS etc.

and others. Yes I run XP SP2, have run SP2 since RC1 and have had only 1
significant issue with VSS which was fixed in RC2. I write software for a
living and do not have any particular loyalty to MS - give me Linux and a
few other odds and sodds and I am happy.

- Tim