P4C800-E Deluxe and S-ATA RAID... Intel RAID or Promise RAID ???

Discussion in 'Asus Motherboards' started by Fraizer, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. Fraizer

    Fraizer Guest

    hello

    I have a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe board and 2 Maxtor diamondMaw Plus 9 120Gb
    S-ATA Hard Drives... (8mb cache)

    "i want to do a RAID 0"

    I have 2 solutions:

    -1- S-ATA RAID withe Promise 378 Contoller (in my P4C800-E Deluxe)

    or

    -2- S-ATA RAID withe Intel RAID...

    Please help me to choose to Have the Best performences and security in S-ATA
    "RAID 0" Mode...

    - What the "+" and the "-" of the ""Promise 378 S-ATA Raid"" Controller and
    the ""Intel RAID"" Controller ?????

    - What your choise ??

    Please Answer me :)

    THX a lot for your help

    PS: if the best solution its the Intel RAID Controller what i put when i
    Create the RAID 0 in Intel Bios Raid setup ? the Stripe Size ? = 16KB or 64
    KB or 128KB ?? i have 2*120 GB (8 mo cache)...

    PS2: Thx again for your help

    Fraizer, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Fraizer

    Fraizer Guest

    please dont miss to explain me why i choose this controller and not the
    other

    thx again

    Fraizer, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Fraizer

    DanO Guest

    Use the Intel Controller, as it bypasses the PCI bus and frees it up for
    other tasks (as does the CSA Gigabit LAN controller.)

    As for stripe size, you have to make that choice for either controller.
    Many benchmarks seem to like a low number like 16KB, however real-world
    tests show that something in the area of 128KB is ideal, especially if
    you're moving large files.

    DanO

    DanO, Oct 29, 2003
  4. Fraizer

    Paul Guest

    Agreed entirely

    Paul

    This footnote confirms that this email message
    has been swept by Norton AntiVirus for the
    presence of computer viruses.

    This computer is protected
    by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector

    Paul, Oct 29, 2003