Over 100 Mailer Daemon mssgs

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
During the past hour, I have received in excess of 100 "Mailer-Daemon" messages.... to say that I'm feeling a tad overwhelmed, is putting it mildly.

I have previously had a few of these nuisance mails, but not usually more than about 6 or 8 in the course of a day. This is a new record - for me anyway.

Just wondering whether anyone else has been similarly "targeted" ... whether this is some kind of holiday thing which is happening generally..? No...? Hmm... didn't think so. :(

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I've only noticed one from the Hotmail camp. The most recent was (supposed) to be addressed to 5179409fiordo @ getnet. it (without the spaces, of course.)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
During the past hour, I have received in excess of 100 "Mailer-Daemon" messages.... to say that I'm feeling a tad overwhelmed, is putting it mildly.

I have previously had a few of these nuisance mails, but not usually more than about 6 or 8 in the course of a day. This is a new record - for me anyway.

Just wondering whether anyone else has been similarly "targeted" ... whether this is some kind of holiday thing which is happening generally..? No...? Hmm... didn't think so. :(

I had the same last week for about 3 days running, over 100 mailer-daemon messages each day. Changed my hotmail password and they stopped.

Yup hotmail for me. I only use Hotmail to logon to MSN, password change and oit all stopped.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ooops! Sorry guys, I completely forgot to mention that the mailbox being spammed is my Windows Mail. Getting a tad flustered... They're still coming in thick and fast.

Just set up Mail Washer... but the damned things have even managed to by-pass that! Getting a bit mad with this now.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Ooops! Sorry guys, I completely forgot to mention that the mailbox being spammed is my Windows Mail. Getting a tad flustered... They're still coming in thick and fast.

Just set up Mail Washer... but the damned things have even managed to by-pass that! Getting a bit mad with this now.

A password change would be my first port of call :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
and secret question just to be sure. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Spammers forge the email addresses into the "From" addresses of their spam all the time. Nothing new, spammers are simply forging your domain as the sender, some of the addresses being spammed are non-existent and the mailer daemons are clulessly trying to inform you the "message" was not delivered. They have not bothered to check the real source so you suffer the double indignity of having spam you never sent "returned" for your attention.

There is no known method of making them stop.

Fortunately, however, it is very likely to stop on its own in a short time (typically, a few days unless you have gotten the spammer angry at you).

Mailwasher will not help.

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for all the advice guys :thumb:

Common sense tells me that this is "not personal" but, just mindless spamming by someone with too much time on their hands. But, I got a tad un-nerved, when the complete drivel, took a "terrorist-flavoured" turn...

I had visions of some of the "sensitive" words being picked-up by anti-terrorist orgs. Instead of a visit from Santa, I worried that we'd wake to find a tank sitting on the lawn and be rounded-up by military chappies...Lol.

Okay, so getting a bit carried away there...

But joking aside, I contacted the ISP (just to make certain they didn't think the stuff was originating from here, due to an "unclean" machine...) The guy who took my call was very reassuring and helpful. He too, was happy that a change of pw would help, and so he changed it on the server, there and then. I did the same thing at my end and voilá it looks like it's working already. Great!!

Thank you all again for the support/advice, it is always much appreciated. :bow:

Ask a Question