Outlook Views

Jesslyn Hendrix

By default, folders are organized in groups (today, yesterday etc.)
and have the Reading Pane open on the right. I prefer no reading pane and
no groupings but I have to reset this for every folder I create. Is there a
way to control the default view on all existing and new folders to match my
preference?

Alan Sun

Hi Jesslyn,

Thanks for your posting here.

Based on my knowledge, there is no built-in feature which can configure the
default view for all the existing folders and new folders in Outlook.

However, you may use the following method to configure default view new
folders.

When you create a new mail folder, Outlook automatically applies the
Messages view. Therefore, to modify the default view, you must change the
built-in Messages view. Switch to any mail folder, then choose View,
Current View, Define Views. Select the Messages view, then click Modify.
Modify it as you want. Click OK, click OK again, then click Apply View to
make the modified Messages view active on the current folder. Now, any new
mail folders that you create will have this enhanced Messages view.

Second, for the existing folders, you may have to clone the updated
Messages view and apply it to existing folders. Open the folder you used to
update the Messages view, then choose View, Current View, Define Views.
Select the Messages view, then choose Copy. Give the new view a name (e.g.,
Messages To-From) and make it active on all mail and post folders. Click
Close to exit the Define Views dialog box. Then apply the new view to the
existing folders manually.

Hope this helps! Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards
Alan Sun
Microsoft Online Partner Support

|From: "Jesslyn Hendrix" <[email protected]>
|Subject: Outlook Views
|Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:49:22 -0700
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|
| By default, folders are organized in groups (today, yesterday
etc.)
|and have the Reading Pane open on the right. I prefer no reading
pane and
|no groupings but I have to reset this for every folder I create. Is
there a
|way to control the default view on all existing and new folders to
match my
|preference?

sriram.sitaraman

this doesn not seem to be the case.. it seems that the view does not
apply to new folders.. only the standard view.

Sriram

Alan Sun

Hi Sriram,

Thanks for your posting.

When we create a new mail folder, Outlook automatically applies the
Messages view. Thus, we can modify the Messages view to set the default
view for new created folders.