Outlook Outlook VBA Toolbar

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to create a Macro (to eventually run on a network to all users). I ideally need this to sit in a toolbar in Outlook (2007) as a one click wonder button so its clicked and brings up the Outlook Form Template which I have already created.

The macro code is:-

Sub MakeItem()
Set newItem = Application.CreateItemFromTemplate("c:\your path\open test.oft")
newItem.Display
Set newItem = Nothing
End Sub
I create this, create the toolbar and put the macro onto it. Works fine until I close outlook. When I re-open Outlook, the button then doesn't work. I dont get any error message it just doesnt work. When I step into the macro I then get the message about macros being disabled.

I cannnot change the macro security setting as this is on a network and we need the security to be high. Is there a workaround for the macro to work from the toolbar?

and...does anyone know the best approach/how to make this avaialble to everyone on the network (I'm not the person who is going to be doing this step but I think the technical server guy is coming up against it on this too).

Any suggestions?

Thanks
B

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Generally speaking macros won't work in any MS office apps unless security is at least set to low. That's been my experience, anyway. Sorry, but don't know a way around that.

Reaction score
Yes, we are using exchange.

Basically, i've been asked to create a outlook form template which they want a one click button on a toolbar so the email pops up - which we thought could be achieved using a macro but of course this only works if security is low as otherwise you get the message about macros being disabled. Because its Outlook, we cannot possibly have the security anything but high. I've only tested this local to me so I know the macro works.

The guy who works with exchange has said he is looking into how to get this out to everyone on the network but he is having difficulties (I am not technical - apps is all I know about) - from what I've been reading on the net, there is something about digital signature for the macro but i'm not sure if that then sorts out the issue of getting it out to everyone. Perhaps its just going to be a bit of trial and error.

Thanks anyway.
B

Reaction score
Using Exchange you can use public folders, publish your custom oft file to the folder. You may be able to create the toolbar to open one of these objects without relying on a macro.

I do not have an Exchange system any longer to test on my end but I used to deploy a fair number of custom forms.

Steve

Reaction score
Thank you so much Steve. Will give this a go, sounds like what we are looking for.

Reaction score
Hi,
You can create your own certificate to stop the enable macro option popping up or the button not working. There an how to here: http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/selfcert.htm

When you've done it, change your security settings in outlook to ask you about running macro's and choose the option to always trust certificates from this person, it should run ok from then on even if they up the macro security to high.

I tried it and it worked fine for me.

Ronza.

Ask a Question