Outlook slow to open messages

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook' started by JC, Jun 8, 2007.

  1. JC

    JC Guest

    Hi,

    I am running WinXP with SP2, IE7 and Office 2003 professional with all updates
    installed on a 3GB PC fitted with 1Gb RAM. The PC is probably 3 years old now.

    Since the May updates I have noticed that Outlook 2003 is slow to open messages
    when moving the selection bar to or from an HTML message. The delay seems to
    vary day to day so it is reasonable some days and slow on others. At its worst
    it can take about 30 secs for some messages to open.

    Outlook itself opens up at the same speed it always has but opening messages has
    noticeably slowed down.

    I read one message about deleting the sites in the IE restricted sites list
    would help so I checked the IE restricted sites list and there are a heap of
    sites listed - I couldn't tell how many. It looks like they have to be deleted
    individually as I couldn't select more than one at a time using the usual
    <select>, move down the list, <SHIFT> <select> approach. I am not sure that I
    want to delete them as they are there for my security.

    I am not sure how relevant the number of sites in the restricted sites list is
    anyway. The number of sites listed would be of a similar number to what I had
    prior to noticing the slowdown.

    This would seem to be related to the security updates issued last month but that
    may simply be a coincidence. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    --

    Cheers . . . JC

    JC, Jun 8, 2007

  2. JC

    Guest Guest

    JC: I'm having the EXACT same problems & you have described it exactly as I
    would have. I'm waiting for a "fix it" reply too!

    Guest, Jun 16, 2007

  3. http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2007/up070607.htm#2

    resetting the restricted zone to defaults should clear the entire list:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

    for another workaround, see:
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=151711&sid=f293c43dd132b50f1a9963c2b80e0887#151711

    --
    Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

    Outlook Tips by email:

    Diane Poremsky, Jun 16, 2007
  4. JC

    JC Guest

    This problem seems to have disappeared after the August updates.

    JC

    JC, Aug 16, 2007