Someone sends me a document to review...I find errors on it and highlight
the errors and want to send it back for changes...I hit reply and the
attachment is not kept with the email...instead I have to hit foward and type
in all of the email addresses and then send. If I were given to option to
reply with attachments and reply to all with attachments it would be alot
more efficient...it should be a fairly simple modification allow for this
feature. Note: that part I highlighted is saved in the attachment but I
can't reply to the email with the changes attached...I have to foward it
which is not really what I should be doing...I'm replying not fowarding.

B

Brian Tillman

Eric Duhon said:
Someone sends me a document to review...I find errors on it and
highlight the errors and want to send it back for changes...I hit
reply and the attachment is not kept with the email..

Of course not. The sender already has it. If you want to make changes, you
must save it to disk, make your changes, reply, and attach your new file.
Making changes in the file as attached to the message just changes a
TEMPORARY COPY of the attachment that goes away when you close the message.

G

You are wrong...I encounter this nearly every day. I make changes to the
attachment and when I hit save it saves the changes in the original email.
The sender has the original unchanged version...I want to send the changed
version without having to hit foward and retype the addresses...there should
be a reply with attachment option. The file is already on my disk in outlook.

B

Brian Tillman

Eric Duhon said:
You are wrong...I encounter this nearly every day. I make changes to
the attachment and when I hit save it saves the changes in the
original email. The sender has the original unchanged version...I
want to send the changed version without having to hit foward and
retype the addresses...there should be a reply with attachment
option. The file is already on my disk in outlook.

If it's in the message, it's not on the disk in a usable form. You must
explicitly save the attachment, click reply, and then attach your changed
files.

G

I have the same problem or worst because i dont have an attachent i have a
second tab(with custom fields) in the message(custom form) when i forward the
message keeps the tab but when i reply the second tab (with the important
info) doesnt keept with the message.

S

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

If you want to reply with a custom form, you have to set that form in the Reply action on the form's (Actions) page in design mode. *And* the reply form must be published to Organizational Forms or Personal Forms.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003

and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
Administrators, Power Users, and Developers

Reaction score
Apparently, in Outlook 2007, you can open the message with the attachment, make your changes and save the attachment (ie, Word document) and then choose "Forward as attachment" from the Other Actions menu.

I would still like to see an option "Reply with attachment", however, in situations where I make changes that I need to send back to the sender.

B

byrddog75

I agree with Eric... it's truly an efficiency thing as well. This worked
beautifully in Eudora (other advantages include new message stationary, being
able to resend multiple messages in case of error). This seriously makes no
sense in regards to opening, making some comments, etc, saving, and just
hitting reply with all in tact.

Reaction score
Reply with Attachments Solved!

In a support forum, we should be focusing on whether or not its possible, and if it is, how to accomplish it, not spending our energies on debating the reasoning why anyone may want/need to do this.

I understand where the original author of this post is coming from and why they may need or want to send a reply with the attachment back to the sender. In my environment, this is a very common request.

I've posted this elsewhere, so I'm going to save time by copying & pasting.

Take the following real-world scenario using identical Windows XP systems & the Office 2007 Enterprise Suite:
  1. Sender sends an email to Recipient that contains an attachment of a document that needs to be reviewed.
  2. Recipient receives the email, double clicks it to open it (assume they don't use the Reading Pane), double click the document to open it, makes edits to it, clicks saves & closes the attachment.
  3. Recipient closes the email the opened from the sender (remember, we opened it to read it then opened the attachment), and receives the following prompt:
    "The attachments of the message "SUBJECT" have been changed. Do you want to save changes to this message?"
  4. Recipient clicks 'Yes', which updates the email with the modified version of the attachment, and now wants to be able to click a button that will reply to the recipient with the modified attachment.
This is what I discovered:
  • Clicking 'Forward' on an email containing an attachment will result in a new email being created, with blank TO, CC & BCC fields, a 'FW' prepended to the subject, the original email body contents and the attachment.
  • So, clearly Outlook is capable of passing an/the attachment/s on to a new email. I checked the form actions (Open Email > Developer > Design This Form > (Actions) tab) and found 4 actions:
    • Reply to All
    • Forward
    • Reply to Folder
  • Comparing the aforementioned actions revealed that the 'Address form like a:' values are 'Forward', 'Reply', 'Reply to All' respectively.
  • This, to me, suggests there may be a [VB(?)] function, macro or some other form or action that it refers to when performing the specified '(Action)'. These are the forms, funtions, macros, actions I'm trying to view in an attempt to modify it in such a way that will result in the creation of a new option under the 'Address form like a:' field that can be used for any new '(Action)' on the forms.
  • After that it's just a matter of creating a button that a user can click to perform said action.
In 2007, when you open a Word attachment (and possibly others; I've not tested with Excel, PowerPoint etc.), edit it, click save (not save as) then close the document, the new changes are saved to a temp file in randomly named folder within:

• %userprofile%\locals~1\tempor~1\content.outlook\
One is not prompted to choose a save location unless they perform a Save As; We're dealing with users here, not IT people, who instincitvely click "Save". Following the real-world example above:
  • Why would Outlook behave this way (ask you to save it back to the original email) if there's no way to Reply with the attachment directly to the sender in a single action?
  • If the the Microsoft Developers were operating on the notion that one should create a new email to send the now modified attachment back to the sender, why would Outlook care to look at that file?
  • In most cases you don't want to modify the original, so why ask the user if they do?
These are rhetorical questions but if you have a good answer I'll listen! I don't know why it was designed this way, but it is what it is and I'm running with it!

SOLUTION:
I offer two solutions, although the latter is from Sue Mosher and is probably better since she authored Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming.

Use the following code snippet to accomplish this task. It works on my machine & one other (both of which are XP Pro with Outlook 2007) so give it a go!

------SNIP------
Code:
Public Sub ReplyWithAttach()
	'Make declarations
	Dim myOlApp As Outlook.Application
	Dim myInspector As Outlook.Inspector
	Dim myItem As Outlook.MailItem
	Dim myReplyItem As Outlook.MailItem
	Dim myAttachments As Outlook.Attachments
	Dim myReplyAttachments As Outlook.Attachments
	Dim fso
	Dim TempFolder As String
	Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
	TempFolder = fso.GetSpecialFolder(2)
	Set myOlApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
	Set myInspector = myOlApp.ActiveInspector

'Create variable to store files names 10 max if you need more then 10, change the value below
	Dim filenames(10) As String

If Not TypeName(myInspector) = "Nothing" Then
		If TypeName(myInspector.CurrentItem) = "MailItem" Then
			Set myItem = myInspector.CurrentItem
			Set myAttachments = myItem.Attachments
			If myAttachments.Count > 0 Then
				For Count = 1 To myAttachments.Count
					myAttachments.Item(Count).SaveAsFile "c:\" & myAttachments.Item(Count).DisplayName
					filenames(Count) = myAttachments.Item(Count).DisplayName
				Next

Set myItem = myInspector.CurrentItem
				Set myReplyItem = myItem.Reply
				Set myReplyAttachments = myReplyItem.Attachments

For Count = 1 To myAttachments.Count
					myReplyAttachments.Add "c:\" & filenames(Count), olByValue, 1, ""
					myReplyItem.Display
					fso.DeleteFile "c:\" & filenames(Count)
				Next

End If
		Else
			MsgBox "The item is of the wrong type."
		End If
	End If
End Sub
------SNIP------

I tried substituting myItem.Reply with myItem.ReplyAll, however it didn't seem to behave correctly; in fact it didn't work at all. I'd be interesting in hearing why if anyone can figure it out.

Sue's code, and comments, can be found at http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=1228

Reaction score
Phylum, Code works great...I made sure to comment that it is Sue Mosher's code. Although 'Count' should be Dim'd as an integer and this code not only reply's with the original attachment but with my signature images as well...no biggy.

In response to others that find this reply with attachment method "not efficient", tell that to the overwhelmed project manager that sends me something to review. Even though I do not make comments on the attachment, I make references to it. Yes, he has the original, but I am positive he doesn't want to dig to find the original email.

Reaction score
Here's a fairly simple solution:
1. In Outlook, open the attachment and [in Word] make desired changes
2. Still in Word, click on the Office button and choose Send, then Email.
3. That opens a draft email message with the revised document as an attachment. Click on the attachment and hit CTL-C (or right-click and choose Copy).
4. Return to the original email and hit reply or reply all.
5. In the reply message, hit CTL-V (or right-click and choose Paste). The modified file will now be attached.

Ask a Question