Outlook Redemption causing "Error '429' ActiveX component can't create object"?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Program Addins' started by Kristy, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Kristy

    Kristy Guest

    Hi

    Has anyone run into this before? I am using vb6, Office 2000/XP. It
    only happens on some pc's, and there appears to be no obvious
    similarities in the setup of the offending pc's. The problem occurs
    here...

    Dim sItem as object

    Set sItem = CreateObject("Redemption.SafeMailItem")

    I have been through Microsofts Q244264 re troubleshooting this error,
    and believe that everything they mention is set up correctly (I have
    tried all of there suggestions bar reinstalling Office!). The
    Redemption SafeOutlookLibrary appears to be accessible, I have
    manually re-registered the Redemption.dll several times and ensured
    that I am using late binding for all objects. The Redemption.dll has
    been renamed by me but as it works fine on some pc's I am assuming
    that this is not the problem.

    Can anyone offer any advice, this is really urgent!

    Thanks

    Kris

    Kristy, Feb 16, 2004

  2. Do you have any AV products installed?
    When installing the dll, were you logged in as an admin or a power user?

    Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/
    OutlookSpy - Outlook, CDO
    and MAPI Developer Tool

    Dmitry Streblechenko \(MVP\), Feb 16, 2004

  3. Kristy

    Kristy Guest

    (Kristy) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi
    >
    > Has anyone run into this before? I am using vb6, Office 2000/XP. It
    > only happens on some pc's, and there appears to be no obvious
    > similarities in the setup of the offending pc's. The problem occurs
    > here...
    >
    > Dim sItem as object
    >
    > Set sItem = CreateObject("Redemption.SafeMailItem")
    >
    > I have been through Microsofts Q244264 re troubleshooting this error,
    > and believe that everything they mention is set up correctly (I have
    > tried all of there suggestions bar reinstalling Office!). The
    > Redemption SafeOutlookLibrary appears to be accessible, I have
    > manually re-registered the Redemption.dll several times and ensured
    > that I am using late binding for all objects. The Redemption.dll has
    > been renamed by me but as it works fine on some pc's I am assuming
    > that this is not the problem.
    >
    > Can anyone offer any advice, this is really urgent!
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Kris

    My apologies, it was the renaming of redemption.dll that was causing
    the problem on some pc's, I have redone it and that seems to have
    fixed it.

    Cheers

    Kris

    Kristy, Feb 16, 2004
  4. Kristy

    Kristy Guest

    (Kristy) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi
    >
    > Has anyone run into this before? I am using vb6, Office 2000/XP. It
    > only happens on some pc's, and there appears to be no obvious
    > similarities in the setup of the offending pc's. The problem occurs
    > here...
    >
    > Dim sItem as object
    >
    > Set sItem = CreateObject("Redemption.SafeMailItem")
    >
    > I have been through Microsofts Q244264 re troubleshooting this error,
    > and believe that everything they mention is set up correctly (I have
    > tried all of there suggestions bar reinstalling Office!). The
    > Redemption SafeOutlookLibrary appears to be accessible, I have
    > manually re-registered the Redemption.dll several times and ensured
    > that I am using late binding for all objects. The Redemption.dll has
    > been renamed by me but as it works fine on some pc's I am assuming
    > that this is not the problem.
    >
    > Can anyone offer any advice, this is really urgent!
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Kris

    Actually... I am still having a problem...

    This is what has happened so far... I had the above problem on a
    customer pc, but not on any of my pc's... so after trying all the
    recommendations from Microsoft I set up another VMWare machine and
    managed to recreate the error. I then loaded VB6 onto that machine so
    that I could thoroughly debug, before I stepped through the code I
    tried to load my addin again just to check that it wasn't dependent on
    some of the visual studio 6 files... it still didn't work, then I
    opened my project in VB6 and stepped through the code in debug mode
    and that's how I knew what line caused the error.

    I decided that I would try it using a 'fresh' redemption.dll and this
    seemed to do the trick, so I assumed that I had somehow upset my
    redemption.dll when doing the name changing thing. I then repackaged
    it and loaded it back onto my customers pc but I still get error
    '429'???

    There must be something happening to the pc when I open the project
    that allows it to then create the redemption objects, maybe it has
    something to do with the RedemptionSafeLibrary, but it all seems to be
    in order... I just can't imagine what it could be.

    Plese help

    Kristy

    Kristy, Feb 17, 2004
  5. Kristy

    Kristy Guest

    Hi Dmitry

    AV doesn't appear to be the problem, I've had machines work with and
    without any AV, and machines not work with and without AV!

    I would be interested to know though... can AV software casue problems
    with Redemption creating objects?

    The Administrator/poweruser question is more interesting... on the
    VMWare machine that I built this morning I logged in as a poweruser to
    install my project and got the error, I have just changed my user to
    have admin privileges and it has worked... however I have always been
    logged on at the customer site as administrator and then when logged
    back in as a user still had the problem... I take it that I don't need
    admin privileges just to run the .dll? I think I'll run a few more
    tests as I feel sure it should work!

    Thanks

    Kristy

    Kristy, Feb 17, 2004
  6. A couple of things.

    First, if you are using a Windows Installer type package do you have
    the Redemption library marked as self-registering?

    Second, if you are renaming Redemption for personalizations of the
    CLSID's, you can declare objects as Redemption.SafeMailItem and so on
    but when you use CreateObject you need to use the modified names and
    not the stock Redemption names. So you might have a call to
    CreateObject like this:
    Dim oSafeMail As Redemption.SafeMailItem
    Set oSafeMail = CreateObject(MyMAPI.MySafeMailItem)

    --
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    Author: Absolute Beginners Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
    http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

    Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook], Feb 17, 2004
  7. Wait a sec, but if you renamed the dll and customized the Redemption class
    names, shouldn't you be using the customized names when you call
    CreateObject instead of

    Dmitry Streblechenko \(MVP\), Feb 17, 2004
  8. Kristy

    Kristy Guest

    Hi Ken

    I use Microsoft Visual Studio Installer to install my projects (self
    registering), but because of this problem in the last few days I have
    tried registering all of the .dlls manually as well as trying to load
    the project using Install Shield (self registering) and I have still
    had the error.

    I have the distributable copy of Redemption so was able to change the
    names of the dll and the CLSID's, and had renamed CreateObject as you
    suggested. Just to double check though I reverted back to an unrenamed
    version of redemption which appeared to work but after further testing
    it seems that actually opening the project and stepping through the
    code did something to the pc that made it work... very strange, maybe
    I have a ghost!

    I'll do some more testing today and see if I can find out anything
    else.

    Thanks

    Kristy

    Kristy, Feb 17, 2004
  9. Kristy

    Kristy Guest

    Hi Dmitry

    I did use my customised name, I didn't put in the previous posts
    example to avoid confusion... which obviously didn't work! Sorry.

    Kristy

    Kristy, Feb 17, 2004
  10. Kristy

    Jim Spicer Guest

    Kristy,
    I know I am late to this thread but I am having similar results using VB6,
    NT/2K/XP, Outlook2K & Outlook2K3. On the XP/Outlook2K3 machine I am getting
    the 429 error, can't create activex object.

    My code snippet follows:

    Dim SafeItem As Object
    Dim objOutlook As Object
    Dim oNamespace As Object
    Dim Utils As Redemption.MAPIUtils
    Dim oOutlookItems As Object
    Dim oOutlookItem As Object
    '
    ' SET UP OUTLOOK
    Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
    Set oNamespace = objOutlook.GetNamespace("MAPI")
    oNamespace.Logon
    ' SET UP REDEMPTION
    Set SafeItem = CreateObject("Redemption.SafeMailItem") 'Create an
    instance of RedemptionSafeMailItem
    Set Utils = CreateObject("Redemption.MAPIUtils") 'Create an
    instance of Redemption.MAPIUtils
    ' GET INBOX CONTENTS
    Set oOutlookItems =
    objOutlook.GetNamespace("MAPI").GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox).Items
    ' LOOK AT EACH ITEM IN THE INBOX
    For Each oOutlookItem In oOutlookItems

    I'm going to try Ken's idea of declaring the Redemption variables as
    Redemption types; I'll report back what happens.

    Did this get resolved? Thanks for any help.

    Jim Spicer

    Jim Spicer, Feb 23, 2004
  11. Kristy

    Jim Spicer Guest

    My problem turned out to be not registering redemption.dll correctly during
    the install. I'm using a custom PDW script. Setup1.exe didn't classify
    redemption.dll as "self-registering, shared". So I manually edited
    setup.lst...need to make a DEP file for it.

    I confirmed this on the XP/Outlook2K3 box; no trace of redemption.dll in the
    registry.

    Re-built the installation package, re-installed and MUCH JOY!

    Jim

    Jim Spicer, Feb 23, 2004
  12. BTW, if you customized your copy of Redemption.dll, there is no need to mark
    it as shared, unless it is shared by your other apps.

    Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/
    OutlookSpy - Outlook, CDO
    and MAPI Developer Tool

    Dmitry Streblechenko \(MVP\), Feb 23, 2004
  13. Kristy

    Kristy Guest

    Hi Jim & Dmitry

    My problem was similar to your own, I use VSI to install my
    application and set the redemption.dll to be self rigistering.
    However it appears that my .msi must have been corrupt, and this was
    the last thing I recreated! Recreating it seemed to solve all of me
    "429' errors hurrah!

    Kris

    Kristy, Feb 24, 2004