Outlook Password

I have installed Outlook 2000 on XP and when I send and receive email it asks for the pasword each and every time even though I have a tick in the remember password box. I have looked at a page of MS for this password problem and can see that I need to edit the registy but it does not give the editing for XP only for win 98 / NT and 2000 - anyone out there know the answer - this is frustrating

Robert Findlay [MSFT]

Here is the information that you are looking for:

To Backup the Key in Windows XP
1. Click Start, click Run, type "regedt32" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
3. On the File menu, click Export.
4. In the File name box, type a unique name for the key.
5. In the Save In box, click a location for the file, and then click Save.
6. On the Registry menu, click Exit.

To remove the key in Windows XP
1. Quit all programs.
2. Click Start, click Run, type "regedt32" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box, and then click OK.
3. Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
4. On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
5. Click the registry key for the user that is currently logged on and
ensure that "Read" and "Full Control" are both set to "Allow".
6. Click the Advanced button, ensure that the user that is currently logged
on is selected, that "Full Control" is listed in the Permissions column,
and that "This Key and Subkeys" is listed in the Apply to column.
7. Click to select the "Replace permission entries on all child objects
with entries shown here that apply to child objects" check box.
8. Click Apply, and then click Yes when you receive a prompt to continue.
9. Click OK, and then click OK again.
10. Double-click the "Protected Storage System Provider" key to expand the
key, click the user subkey folder that is directly below the Protected
Storage System Provider key, click Delete on the Edit menu, and then click
Yes in the warning message dialog box.

The user subkey folder looks similar to the following example:
S-1-5-21-124525095-708259637-1543119021-16701NOTE: For every identity that
you have, there may be a subkey under the Protected Storage System Provider
key. To resolve this issue in all of your identities, you must delete all
of the user subkeys folders under the
Protected Storage System Provider key.

11. On the Registry menu, click Exit, and then restart your computer.

How to Re-Enter Your Password
1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Mail, and then click the Mail tab.
3. In the Account column, click to select the ISP account, and then click
Properties.
4. Click Server, type your password in the Password box, and then click
Remember password.
5. Click OK, and then click Close.
6. Close Control Panel, and then start Outlook.
7. On the Tools menu, click Send to test whether your password is retained.

I hope this information is helpful.

Robert Findlay
Partner Technical Lead -- Outlook/Office Setup
Microsoft Technical Support for Platforms and Business Applications