Outlook Cache Sync problem after Exchange 2007 restore.

Steve Halvorson

I am having a problem with Outlook (which is set to use cache) not seeing
messages that have been restored to the exchange server (2007) after a
restore. If you turn Cache mode off you can see all the messages - turn it
on and they disapear. How can I force Outlook to resync the older messages
in the local pst file?

Emily Lin

Hi Steve,

With Exchange Cached Mode for Microsoft Outlook, the design goal is to prevent data loss, so that if the Exchange mailbox store
changes, the OST will not be orphaned as in the past.

When you choose "cached exchange mode", the messages are stored in the local *.ost file (offline file folder). Please wait for a while
(10 minutes) to see if the messages are resync in the local ost files.

If not, the solution to fix this problem is to create a new unique profile. If the user has Outlook in cache mode then disable the cache
mode and delete any ost files on the system. Create the new profile and have Outlook recreate the ost files new. This is necessary
since the ost file ties back to the users mailbox and when the mailbox identifiers change these no longer match.

Related KB artilce:

870926 Description of Outlook with Cached Exchange Mode in an Exchange Server
2003 environment
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;870926

287072 How to Create a New E-mail Profile for Outlook
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;287072

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Emily Lin

Microsoft Online Partner Support
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

Steve Halvorson

Thanks Emily, I was hoping for a way around deleting the ost files - you
know, a magic button somewhere.
--
Steve Halvorson
Preferred Credit, Inc

Emily Lin said:
[...]

Emily Lin

Hi Steve,

There is not such a button in Outlook to delete the OST files.

By default, the ost files are stored in the folder: %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft
\Outlook\. Please delete the ost files and then create a new outlook profile to fix the issue.

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and
benefit from this issue.

From: =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgSGFsdm9yc29u?= <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Outlook Cache Sync problem after Exchange 2007 restore.
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 05:37:01 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

Thanks Emily, I was hoping for a way around deleting the ost files - you
know, a magic button somewhere.

Emily Lin

Hi Steve,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free
to let me know. I am glad to be of assistance. :)

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.