Outlook Automatically Adds Appointments to the Calendar

asdf

have Outlook XP SP3 running on WinXP Pro with SP2.

When i view an appointment invitation that was sent to be in the
preview pane for some reason outlook automatically adds the
appointment (tentativelly) to the calendar. Searching on google.groups
i found some people saying that this is the way outlook works and this
behavior is by design. I really don't understand their explanation. Why
previewing message in outlook would require it to add the appointment
to my calendar? Some other people said to disable tracking options but that
didn't help.

Any other advice.
Thank you very much.

Milly Staples - MVP Outlook

Adding it to your calendar as tentative gives you the option of accepting or
declining. It is the default behavior. What do you expect the behavior to
be?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, asdf asked:

| have Outlook XP SP3 running on WinXP Pro with SP2.
|
| When i view an appointment invitation that was sent to be in the
| preview pane for some reason outlook automatically adds the
| appointment (tentativelly) to the calendar. Searching on google.groups
| i found some people saying that this is the way outlook works and this
| behavior is by design. I really don't understand their explanation.
| Why previewing message in outlook would require it to add the
| appointment
| to my calendar? Some other people said to disable tracking options
| but that didn't help.
|
| Any other advice.
| Thank you very much.

asdf

I want the default behavior to be for outlook not to add anything to my
calendar unless i add it there myself.

Vanguard

Milly Staples wrote ...

I want the default behavior to be for outlook not to add anything to
my
calendar unless i add it there myself.

Then click the Decline button.

asdf

You don't understand. Outlook adds stuff to my calendar even
if all i do is preview it. I click on the invitation, it displays in the
preview pane. Then when i go to my calendar the appointment is
already there, although only tentatively. I have to manually
delete it. Why is it there if all i do is preview it.

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

It puts it there to tell you that you have an appointment that you need to attend to, either to send an accept or decline. If it didn't and you have a huge inbox, you might not get to the appointment item until after the appointment time has lapsed. This way, it shows in your calendar, and when you realize you know nothing about that appointment, you have the chance to go back to your in-box, open (or preview the appt.) and accept or decline.

--

| || "asdf" wrote in message |||
||| Milly Staples wrote ...
||| I want the default behavior to be for outlook not to add anything
||| to my calendar unless i add it there myself.
|| Then click the Decline button.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In
asdf said:
You don't understand. Outlook adds stuff to my calendar even
if all i do is preview it. I click on the invitation, it displays in
the preview pane. Then when i go to my calendar the appointment is
already there, although only tentatively. I have to manually
delete it. Why is it there if all i do is preview it.

That's already been explained.....it does this automatically. If you
*decline* the request it will disappear.

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

You can turn off the calendar "sniffer" by going to Tools | OPtions | E-mail Options | Tracking Options and clearing the box for "Process requests and responses on arrival."

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

asdf

did that. Invitations are still added automatically to my calendar.

You can turn off the calendar "sniffer" by going to Tools | OPtions | E-mail
Options | Tracking Options and clearing the box for "Process requests and

Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

asdf

but i already know that i need to attend to it. I'm previewing it. Or maybe
i'm not ready
to either decline or accept it yet.

| || "asdf" wrote in message |||
||| Milly Staples wrote ...
||| I want the default behavior to be for outlook not to add anything
||| to my calendar unless i add it there myself.
|| Then click the Decline button.

Brian Tillman

asdf said:
but i already know that i need to attend to it. I'm previewing it. Or
maybe i'm not ready
to either decline or accept it yet.

Outlook simply does not work the way you want it to work. When you view a
meeting request, it will always show in the calendar.

asdf

but doesn't it seem strange that it would work this way.
This feature seems more like a bug to me.

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

No, it is as designed. Just because you think it should not place it in your calendar, does not mean that everyone else thinks the same way. For others, seeing where the appt. falls in relation to the rest of the work day/week before accepting or declining makes perfect sense. It gives the recipient the full view of their working day/week in order to make a decision.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, asdf asked:

| but doesn't it seem strange that it would work this way.
| This feature seems more like a bug to me.

| ||
||| but i already know that i need to attend to it. I'm previewing it.
||| Or maybe i'm not ready
||| to either decline or accept it yet.
|| Outlook simply does not work the way you want it to work. When you
|| view a meeting request, it will always show in the calendar.
|| --
|| Brian Tillman

Vanguard