Outlook 2007 import categories using GPO template limitation

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Contacts' started by RD, Jul 3, 2008.

  1. RD

    RD Guest

    We are using SBS 2003 with Exch 2003 and Outlook 2007 on Windows XP machines.
    We have recently upgrade office 2000 to Office 2007 with BCM on all 6 PCs.

    We have huge Master List of categories for Outlook 2000 contacts that we
    used to export and import using registry to share on all 6 PCs. Since we got
    Outlook 2007, we can't manage the contacts with shared categories.

    Then we done some research and found basic solution using GPO with Outlook
    2007 template to share this master list on the SBS 2003 server to 6 PCs. This
    trick could not help us to add whole long list of categories into GPO
    template bacause we can't paste the whole list and it accept only partial
    list. Obviously we will be adding more as we grow, so we need similar fix
    with unlimited categories as previous outlook version.

    Is there any size limitation for ADD NEW CATEGORIES string in outlook GPO
    template? Is there a way to increase the size of the string so we can add
    more?

    Any other solution we will be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    RD

    RD, Jul 3, 2008

  2. You might deploy your categories with Category Manager: no limits, updates
    at intervals, shares colors as well, and much more. For details and the
    download see the link in my signature, please.

    --
    Best regards
    Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook

    : VBOffice Reporter for Data Analysis & Reporting
    : Outlook Categories? Category Manager Is Your Tool
    : <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?pub=6&lang=en>

    Michael Bauer [MVP - Outlook], Jul 3, 2008

  3. RD

    Peter Donald Guest

    Outlook Macro to export and import categories

    I don't know if it is as slick as a GPO solutions, but here is a free method which works.

    Good luck

    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Sof...ng-and-Exporting-Outlook-2007-Categories.html

    Peter Donald, Aug 25, 2010