Outlook 2007 connection to Exchnage 2007 over VPN looses connection

Scott Townsend

If I'm in the Office, I can connect to the Exchange server with no problems.

If I'm in the office outside the firewall and connect to the Exchange server
via VPN I'm fine too.

Though when I travel and am using Hotel and other Internet Connections My
VPN to the office is fine, though I seem to have intermittent connectivity
issues with Outlook 2007 to the Exchange 2007 server. In the bottom right
it will say, Connected, Disconnected, Trying to connect, etc...

The VPN is pretty finicky and needs a solid connection. It does not drop at
all, so the connection to the VPN/Firewall is good.

Is there a Timeout or something I can change to allow it to not see the
Server for a bit longer period before it disconnects?

Thanks,

Scott<-

Mark Arnold [MVP]

If I'm in the Office, I can connect to the Exchange server with no problems.

If I'm in the office outside the firewall and connect to the Exchange server
via VPN I'm fine too.

Though when I travel and am using Hotel and other Internet Connections My
VPN to the office is fine, though I seem to have intermittent connectivity
issues with Outlook 2007 to the Exchange 2007 server. In the bottom right
it will say, Connected, Disconnected, Trying to connect, etc...

The VPN is pretty finicky and needs a solid connection. It does not drop at
all, so the connection to the VPN/Firewall is good.

Is there a Timeout or something I can change to allow it to not see the
Server for a bit longer period before it disconnects?

Thanks,

Scott<-
Quit with the VPN for a little test and configure up Outlook Anywhere
(RPC over HTTPS has a new name). Test it like that.
There's no point testing these two together until you know what
they're like in isolation.

Scott Townsend

So how secure is using Outlook Anywhere on the server. I guess I have OWA
set up already...

So to allow Outlook to connect to the server via Outlook Anywhere, Does the
Server name that the account is set up for need to change? Many of my users
that need access to email are on the road and in the office and use the same
laptop to do both.

I could Configure the server to have the same name inside and out if needed.

As a side note, this only happens with the 2007 Server. There are no issues
with the users that connect to the 2003 exchange server...

Thanks

Emily Lin

Hi Scott,

I notice that you have posted the same question in our microsoft.public.exchange.connectivity newsgroup, our Exchange suppopt will
respond you as soon as possible. So please check it there and if you need any further assistance on this particular issue, please reply to
the microsoft.public.exchange.connectivity newsgroup.

Also, please don't cross-post the same question in multiple newsgroups in the future so that our engineers can work on your question
efficiently. Your understanding and cooperation is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Scott Townsend" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Outlook 2007 connection to Exchnage 2007 over VPN looses connection
| Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:45:19 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.exchange.connectivity
|
| So how secure is using Outlook Anywhere on the server. I guess I have OWA
| set up already...
|
| So to allow Outlook to connect to the server via Outlook Anywhere, Does the
| Server name that the account is set up for need to change? Many of my users
| that need access to email are on the road and in the office and use the same
| laptop to do both.
|
| I could Configure the server to have the same name inside and out if needed.
|
| As a side note, this only happens with the 2007 Server. There are no issues
| with the users that connect to the 2003 exchange server...
|
| Thanks
| | > On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:39:26 -0700, "Scott Townsend"
| >

| >>If I'm in the Office, I can connect to the Exchange server with no
| >>problems.
| >>
| >>If I'm in the office outside the firewall and connect to the Exchange
| >>server
| >>via VPN I'm fine too.
| >>

| >>Though when I travel and am using Hotel and other Internet Connections My
| >>VPN to the office is fine, though I seem to have intermittent connectivity
| >>issues with Outlook 2007 to the Exchange 2007 server. In the bottom right
| >>it will say, Connected, Disconnected, Trying to connect, etc...
| >>

| >>The VPN is pretty finicky and needs a solid connection. It does not drop
| >>at
| >>all, so the connection to the VPN/Firewall is good.
| >>

| >>Is there a Timeout or something I can change to allow it to not see the
| >>Server for a bit longer period before it disconnects?
| >>

| >>Thanks,
| >>
| >> Scott<-
| >>
| > Quit with the VPN for a little test and configure up Outlook Anywhere
| > (RPC over HTTPS has a new name). Test it like that.
| > There's no point testing these two together until you know what
| > they're like in isolation.

Mark Arnold [MVP]

So how secure is using Outlook Anywhere on the server. I guess I have OWA
set up already...

It's the same.
So to allow Outlook to connect to the server via Outlook Anywhere, Does the
Server name that the account is set up for need to change? Many of my users
that need access to email are on the road and in the office and use the same
laptop to do both.

No, the server name doesn't change. There are a couple of extra
tickboxes and some additional URLs to enter. There are guides all over
the Internet to configure it up.
I could Configure the server to have the same name inside and out if needed.

No need. The only thing that's important is for the certificate name
to match the URL you access. Unless you have a pop up box about
certificates when you access OWA you're fine.