Outlook Outlook 2003 Can't Delete Read Receipt HELP!

Reaction score
I received an e-mail with a read receipt request on a POP3 account I can receive from but not send to. Outlook keeps trying to send the read receipt and displaying the following error message:

Task 'Incoming Only Acct. - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

The read receipt message is not in the outbox so I can't delete it. Where is it? Can I delete it? How can I get rid of this problem? Thanks. Steve

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
They appear in the outbox when I test it. You may have to just change that account so that it can temporarily send it via a free SMTP server, then it should be gone :) Even if the SMTP server bounces it, it will still get it "out of the loop".

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
They appear in the outbox when I test it. You may have to just change that account so that it can temporarily send it via a free SMTP server, then it should be gone :) Even if the SMTP server bounces it, it will still get it "out of the loop".
Thanks Ian great tip! I will do that. All Outlook cares about is the name of the Email Account. It doesn't care which SMTP server I'm using. I appreciate the help.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Check port 25 is not being blocked by your ISP ... mind you, most won't admit they are.

On a note of security ... never acknowledge a 'read receipt' I would turn that 'function/feature' off. ;)

oh, try this ...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302357

:thumb:
Good point muckshifter. I use port 587 most of the time to get around that pesky port 25 blocking. Security-wise, I have the read receipts set to "manual" so that I can select who gets one back and who doesn't. I clicked this one without thinking. Never again!

Ask a Question