Outlook 2003 and .tif files from SBS2003

Bob Anderson

I have a user who has a workstation that cannot open or save .TIF files from
the SBS fax program. Other users have no problem on their Outlook and the
problem user can save and open other files types without any problems. There
are no rules defined and no spam add-ons.
Any help?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Got any useful details on why the user can't open TIF files and what happens
when the user tries? You gave us nothing to go on.

Bob Anderson

Either double clicking the attachment or trying to save it produces the
message, "Cant create file: fax.tif Right-click the folder you want to
create the file in, and then click properties on the shortcut menu to check
your permissions for the folder."

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Bob Anderson said:
I have a user who has a workstation that cannot open or save .TIF files from
the SBS fax program. Other users have no problem on their Outlook and the
problem user can save and open other files types without any problems. There
are no rules defined and no spam add-ons.
Any help?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Check the system's file association for TIF files.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Bob Anderson said:
I have a user who has a workstation that cannot open or save .TIF
files
from
the SBS fax program. Other users have no problem on their Outlook and the
problem user can save and open other files types without any problems. There
are no rules defined and no spam add-ons.
Any help?

Bob Anderson

Already tried that, it can open .TIF files no problem.

"Bob Anderson" <bob at andersoncomputer . org> wrote in message
I have a user who has a workstation that cannot open or save .TIF files
from
the SBS fax program. Other users have no problem on their Outlook
and
the
problem user can save and open other files types without any problems.
There
are no rules defined and no spam add-ons.
Any help?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

What is the answer to my question?
Post the file association for TIF files.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Bob Anderson said:
[...]

Take it easy! All you said was check the association.
I tried Microsoft Imaging and also fax viewer; they both work without a
problem outside of Outlook. I also deleted the association completely and
tried to save the attachment and it gave me the same error. I can also save
other attachments such as .PDF from the same client with the same logon
without a problem.
Bob Anderson

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

I'm just trying to track down the possible source of the problem. There have
been some undocumented changes in file associations for TIF files in Office
2003 and something seems awry here. The default viewer for TIF files in
Office 2003 is MODI. Any ideas how yours got changed?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Bob Anderson said:
[...]

It wasn't changed when the problem occurred. I just tried to use one of the
other viewers to try an eliminate the possibility. I returned it to the
defaults afterwards. I can open .TIF without any additional steps when being
done through Windows Explorer etc. It just seems to be Outlook preventing
the user (who happens to be the designated fax receptionist) from opening
the SBS faxes.
Bob Anderson

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

But MODI should have been your default with Office 2003. Was it?
"<drive>:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MODI\11.0\MSPVIEW.EXE"
"%1"

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Bob Anderson said:
[...]

That was (and is) the program that still opens the files outside of Outlook.

--
Bob Anderson
Anderson Computer Services

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

I logged onto the same station as another user and the .TIF file opens the
way it is supposed to.
Now what????

--

Bob Anderson said:
[...]

message
[...]

Fixed it. I did a detect & repair and selected the reset of all defaults and
shortcuts.

Still doesn't explain what caused it but onwards and upwards....

--

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

The file association for TIF files in Outlook 2003 became very convoluted,
and I suspect your settings became corrupt. For some reason in Office 2003,
the file associations for ".tif" and ".tiff" have been changed to
MSPaper.Document. It is the printto verb for MSPaper.Document that must be
either created or changed in
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSPaper.Document\shell\printto\command]
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Bob Anderson said:
[...]

Sorry, make that the open verb.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

"Bob Anderson" <bob at andersoncomputer . ca> wrote in message
[...]

wrote
in

Bob Anderson

You lost me on line 4 anyway. <G>
I think I will stick to the settings reset if I see that again in the future
rather than digging into the registry.
Thanks anyway for your attempts to help.

--
---------------------------------------------<
Bob Anderson said:
[...]

I agree. I'm just interested in which settings got munged if it happens
again.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

[...]