Outlook 2002 will not send in Visa Home Premium

Loretta

New in June Dell laptop. IP Verizon DSL. Just spent an hour on line with
Verizon support. All setting are correct. Outlook 2002 will send but not
receive.
Help
Loretta

John

What is the error message?

connectivity test:
Can you telnet from your dell machine to Verizon's POP3 server?

telnet pop3.verizon.com 110
(note: replace pop3.verizon.com with the correct verizon POP3 server name)

if you're able to connect, type "quit" (without quotes) to exit telnet. Be
sure your username/password are correct. Password may be case sensitive.

Loretta

I also tried Windows Mail.
Error The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test', Account:
'incoming.verizon.net', Server:'outgvoing.verizon.net', Protocol:SMTP,
Port:25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error:10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"

How do I tel net?
I can receive, can't send. mail.

John

Your first post says:
"Outlook 2002 will send but not receive."

Now you say:
"I can receive, can't send. mail."

Which one is it?

Also, the outgoing server name (outgvoing.verizon.net) is wrong. It's
"outgoing", not "outgVoing"

Loretta

My appologies for misquotes and misspells
I cannot send email
and the outgoing is outgoing.verizon.net

The error for the test email is:
"Send test e-mail message: The specified server was found, but thee was no
response from the server. Please verify that the port and ssl information is
correct. To access these settins..."

"Find outgoing mail server (smtp): Unable to connect to the out going mail
server (smtp), Please verify the server name in the out going mail server
field......"
I did all of this and went on line with Verizon. The even took control of
the computer to check all the settings and they could not Fix this. In fact
they have not clue as to what they are doing in Vista.
They also do not have any tools to check Vista with.
Again Vista Home Premium and Outlook 2002.
Ps I tried Windows mail and that could not send either.
Thank you,
Loretta

John

Loretta said:
The error for the test email is:
"Send test e-mail message: The specified server was found, but thee was no
response from the server. Please verify that the port and ssl information
is correct. To access these settins..."

This looks like firewall issue. I have never used Vista yet but from what
I've read, Vista firewall protects both incoming and outgoing traffic. You
should be looking at Vista firewall (exception) settings to allow outgoing
SMTP traffic from your computer.

To be sure if your computer allows SMTP outgoing traffic, do the following:

1) Go to Vista command prompt
2) Type the following (without quotes): "telnet outgoing.verizon.net 25"

Post the result here.
Ps I tried Windows mail and that could not send either.

If Vista blocks outgoing port 25 (SMTP) traffic, no mail clients will work.

Loretta

"telnet is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
program or batch file"
Loretta

Brian Tillman

Loretta said:
I tried "ping outgoing.verizon.net" "Packets sent 4, Received = 0,
Lost = 4

That indicates a networking issue, like firewall, as John says.

John

That's the problem. You can't even connect to Verizon's SMTP server.

My guesses are as follows:

1) Vista is blocking port 25 (SMTP) outgoing traffic. I think Vista default
setting allows ALL OUTgoing traffic unless manual changes were made on that
PC.

2) You're behind a (company) firewall that blocks port 25 outgoing traffic

3) You're connected to a different ISP (not Verizon) and attempt to send
email through Verizon's SMTP server. SBC (AT&T) Yahoo is one example of ISP
that blocks outgoing port 25 traffic to anywhere except their own SMTP
servers. They do this to combat spam.

Is either one of the above correct?

John

It looks like you're connected to Comcast network. They may not allow
outbound port 25 traffic except to their own SMTP servers. You must use
their SMTP servers to send email.

Loretta

That is a good thought. Ill give it a try
John said:
It looks like you're connected to Comcast network. They may not allow
outbound port 25 traffic except to their own SMTP servers. You must use
their SMTP servers to send email.

John

Verizon may be dropping ping request packets. That's why you're not getting
any reply. As long as your PC can resolve name to IP address, you're good.

But your problem is outbound SMTP traffic is blocked. I'd say the easiest
solution (not necessarily the best) is to use Verizon's web mail.

Tom [Pepper] Willett

If you are connected to a Comcast network, why are you trying to send
through Verizon?