    in tool or feature, but I'm wondering if anyone has found
    or written a formula or macro which may accomplish this
    functionality?

    Amanda, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Amanda

    Kevin Stecyk Guest

    Hi Amanda,

    Are you looking for something like the following solution?

    http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip035.htm

    Hope that helps.

    Regards,
    Kevin

    Kevin Stecyk, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Amanda

    Amanda Guest

    Thanks Kevin,

    That has certainly started the gears grinding in my head,
    but I still have some problems with this formula.

    I'm hoping to find a way to accomplish heirarchical
    numbering based on heading level...
    i.e. 1 First Level Heading
    1.1 Second Level Heading
    1.1.1 Third Level Heading
    1.1.2 Third Level Heading
    2 First Level Heading
    2.1 Second Level Heading

    Ideally, I'll be able to create a set of macros to
    emulate these headings and keep the numbering updated
    when I insert or delete heading entries at the same
    heirarchical level. The numbering of each level can be in
    different columns if necessary, I just haven't got my
    head around the formula that will accomplish this.

    Probably a tall order, but I'm hoping I'm not the first
    person to need this functionality.

    Amanda, Dec 17, 2003
  4. Amanda

    Kevin Stecyk Guest

    Hi Amanda,

    Here's a post from Harlan Grove that might be of benefit to you.

    From: Harlan Grove ()
    Subject: Re: Word numbered outline import into Excel

    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
    Date: 2003-07-15 14:22:29 PST

    You don't need VBA, just some monster formulas. For an outline like

    OLN Lvl_1 Lvl_2 Lvl_3 Lvl_4

    ...... (the rest follows in Google)

    You can find Harlan's post here...

    http://snipurl.com/3grm

    I hope that helps you.

    On a side note, you should only post your question in one section. I note
    that your message in listed in Excel.Misc as well. Most people here scan
    all sections, so you don't really achieve much, if anything, by posting in
    several sections. I mention this in passing so for your future reference.

    Regards,
    Kevin

    Kevin Stecyk, Dec 18, 2003