OT: My first look at Paint Shop Pro v.9

E. T. Culling

I realize that this is not directly related to FP but .....
Version 9 arrived on my doorstep today and my first impression is very good,
especially for working with photographs. (I don't use it for anything else.)
It's been my contention right along that you don't need Photoshop (at least
not the full version) to be able to prepare photos for the web. I'll write a
tutorial soon to help you out with setting up a Photo Toolbar that you can
use to speed up your work either if you're more advanced or to help
beginners realize the potential that can be found within this fine product.
If you want to contact me about what to put in such a tutorial don't
hesitate to contact me: (e-mail address removed) You might want to check out this
page now for earlier tutorials and articles about image editing:
http://www.eleanorstravels.com/suggestedresources.htm
As many of you know it's my goal to help you with your image editing and
photo gallery problems. I was a teacher for many years and enjoy writing
these tutorials. Let me know what you need. There's no reason why your
photos can't look great on your website. Visit mine to see many photos from
my travels: http://www.eleanorstravels.com/
Eleanor ... sometimes known as 'grouchy' Eleanor.

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

Go for it Grouchola !

Creating transparent gifs
Optimizing images
Resizing Images

I don't have PSP but if you need help coming up with stuff lemme know.

RoboSama

| I realize that this is not directly related to FP but .....
| Version 9 arrived on my doorstep today and my first impression is very good,
| especially for working with photographs. (I don't use it for anything else.)
| It's been my contention right along that you don't need Photoshop (at least
| not the full version) to be able to prepare photos for the web. I'll write a
| tutorial soon to help you out with setting up a Photo Toolbar that you can
| use to speed up your work either if you're more advanced or to help
| beginners realize the potential that can be found within this fine product.
| If you want to contact me about what to put in such a tutorial don't
| hesitate to contact me: (e-mail address removed) You might want to check out this
| page now for earlier tutorials and articles about image editing:
| http://www.eleanorstravels.com/suggestedresources.htm
| As many of you know it's my goal to help you with your image editing and
| photo gallery problems. I was a teacher for many years and enjoy writing
| these tutorials. Let me know what you need. There's no reason why your
| photos can't look great on your website. Visit mine to see many photos from
| my travels: http://www.eleanorstravels.com/
| Eleanor ... sometimes known as 'grouchy' Eleanor.

Jim Cheshire

E. T. Culling said:
[...]

Eleanor,

Have you tried the new Digital Imaging 10 software from Microsoft? I
haven't used it, but a buddy bought it a couple of days ago and said it was
vastly improved.

--
Jim Cheshire
JIMCO

Author of Special Edition
Using Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003

E. T. Culling

No, haven't seen that one although I seem to be an image editing software
junky. I really do think PSP is great but also have Photoshop CS because I
have a 13 x 19' printer and a digital SLR. I use Fireworks for text gifs and
roll over images etc. Also own PhotoImpactXL for a few things and just to
compare...
I though PhotoDraw from Microsoft was a big joke so I hadn't looked into
digital Imaging.... wonder if they have a trial version...
Eleanor

E. T. Culling

RoboSama:
What program do you use Rob, and why do you like it? I'm asuming you do like
it! I haven't made transparent gifs with PSP ... but I'll try it. It's so
easy to do with Fireworks that I haven't explored this yet ... I will.
Resizing and Optimizing are easy to do with PSP and absolutely essential
with whichever program we are using. I've found that this is where so many
fail - after looking at sites where folks are having trouble with their
images.
Eleanor

"Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
wrote in message Go for it Grouchola !

Creating transparent gifs
Optimizing images
Resizing Images

I don't have PSP but if you need help coming up with stuff lemme know.

RoboSama

| I realize that this is not directly related to FP but .....
| Version 9 arrived on my doorstep today and my first impression is very
good,
| especially for working with photographs. (I don't use it for anything
else.)
| It's been my contention right along that you don't need Photoshop (at
least
| not the full version) to be able to prepare photos for the web. I'll write
| tutorial soon to help you out with setting up a Photo Toolbar that you can
| use to speed up your work either if you're more advanced or to help
| beginners realize the potential that can be found within this fine
product.
| If you want to contact me about what to put in such a tutorial don't
| hesitate to contact me: (e-mail address removed) You might want to check out
this
| page now for earlier tutorials and articles about image editing:
| http://www.eleanorstravels.com/suggestedresources.htm
| As many of you know it's my goal to help you with your image editing and
| photo gallery problems. I was a teacher for many years and enjoy writing
| these tutorials. Let me know what you need. There's no reason why your
| photos can't look great on your website. Visit mine to see many photos
from
| my travels: http://www.eleanorstravels.com/
| Eleanor ... sometimes known as 'grouchy' Eleanor.

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

ET..
90% of the time I use PS6, and Image Ready3

The other 10% I use various editors I like to experiment with (I'm like you :) - PhotoPhilia, Photo Elements II, IrFanview, Corel, and other freebies.

I use Illustrator for graphics, but lately I've been playing with Xara X1...its awesome for vector graphics, much much more friendly than Illustrator. I have to save up my allowance to buy it though :-(

Rob

| RoboSama:
| What program do you use Rob, and why do you like it? I'm asuming you do like
| it! I haven't made transparent gifs with PSP ... but I'll try it. It's so
| easy to do with Fireworks that I haven't explored this yet ... I will.
| Resizing and Optimizing are easy to do with PSP and absolutely essential
| with whichever program we are using. I've found that this is where so many
| fail - after looking at sites where folks are having trouble with their
| images.
| Eleanor
|
| "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | Go for it Grouchola !
|
| Creating transparent gifs
| Optimizing images
| Resizing Images
|
| I don't have PSP but if you need help coming up with stuff lemme know.
|
| RoboSama
|
| | | I realize that this is not directly related to FP but .....
| | Version 9 arrived on my doorstep today and my first impression is very
| good,
| | especially for working with photographs. (I don't use it for anything
| else.)
| | It's been my contention right along that you don't need Photoshop (at
| least
| | not the full version) to be able to prepare photos for the web. I'll write
| | tutorial soon to help you out with setting up a Photo Toolbar that you can
| | use to speed up your work either if you're more advanced or to help
| | beginners realize the potential that can be found within this fine
| product.
| | If you want to contact me about what to put in such a tutorial don't
| | hesitate to contact me: (e-mail address removed) You might want to check out
| this
| | page now for earlier tutorials and articles about image editing:
| | http://www.eleanorstravels.com/suggestedresources.htm
| | As many of you know it's my goal to help you with your image editing and
| | photo gallery problems. I was a teacher for many years and enjoy writing
| | these tutorials. Let me know what you need. There's no reason why your
| | photos can't look great on your website. Visit mine to see many photos
| from
| | my travels: http://www.eleanorstravels.com/
| | Eleanor ... sometimes known as 'grouchy' Eleanor.
| |
| |

chris leeds

You know what I've got for graphics apps ;-)
what do I use for optimizing? Lately I'll just slice the images up and keep
them uncompressed until I'm absolutely sure they're the way I want, then hit
them with ulead's smart saver pro. I can optimize a whole folder full of
graphics in one shot with three clicks, plus I've found that smart saver
pro's optimization routine results in better looking and smaller file size
images than any other program.
I agree, everyone should optimize their images, no matter how they go about
it.

--
Chris Leeds,
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

The email address on this posting is a "black hole". I got tired of all the
spam.
Please feel free to contact me here:
http://nedp.net/contact/

chris leeds

know what makes adobe's graphics apps MUCH better? A drawing tablet! I
noticed when I first started fooling around with adobe stuff after using
exclusively ulead apps for quite a while, that it seemed just by the layout
that adobe _expected_ a tablet. at the very least it wasn't very mouse
friendly.
I recently bought a tablet and it did make it a much better experience.

--

wrote in message ET..
> [...]

| | hesitate to contact me: (e-mail address removed) You might want to check out
| this
| | page now for earlier tutorials and articles about image editing:
| | http://www.eleanorstravels.com/suggestedresources.htm
| | As many of you know it's my goal to help you with your image editing and
| | photo gallery problems. I was a teacher for many years and enjoy writing
| | these tutorials. Let me know what you need. There's no reason why your
| | photos can't look great on your website. Visit mine to see many photos
| from
| | my travels: http://www.eleanorstravels.com/
| | Eleanor ... sometimes known as 'grouchy' Eleanor.
| |
| |

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

I'm too uncoordinated to draw on my tablet :) I find it very difficult for some reason.

| know what makes adobe's graphics apps MUCH better? A drawing tablet! I
| noticed when I first started fooling around with adobe stuff after using
| exclusively ulead apps for quite a while, that it seemed just by the layout
| that adobe _expected_ a tablet. at the very least it wasn't very mouse
| friendly.
| I recently bought a tablet and it did make it a much better experience.
|
| --
| Chris Leeds,
| Microsoft MVP FrontPage
|
| The email address on this posting is a "black hole". I got tired of all the
| spam.
| Please feel free to contact me here:
| http://nedp.net/contact/
| --
|

| "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | ET..
| 90% of the time I use PS6, and Image Ready3
|
| The other 10% I use various editors I like to experiment with (I'm like you
| :) - PhotoPhilia, Photo Elements II, IrFanview, Corel, and other freebies.
|
| I use Illustrator for graphics, but lately I've been playing with Xara
| X1...its awesome for vector graphics, much much more friendly than
| Illustrator. I have to save up my allowance to buy it though :-(
|
| Rob
|
| | | RoboSama:
| | What program do you use Rob, and why do you like it? I'm asuming you do
| like
| | it! I haven't made transparent gifs with PSP ... but I'll try it. It's so
| | easy to do with Fireworks that I haven't explored this yet ... I will.
| | Resizing and Optimizing are easy to do with PSP and absolutely essential
| | with whichever program we are using. I've found that this is where so many
| | fail - after looking at sites where folks are having trouble with their
| | images.
| | Eleanor
| |
| | "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
| | wrote in message | | Go for it Grouchola !
| |
| | Creating transparent gifs
| | Optimizing images
| | Resizing Images
| |
| | I don't have PSP but if you need help coming up with stuff lemme know.
| |
| | RoboSama
| |
| | | Version 9 arrived on my doorstep today and my first impression is very
| | good,
| | | especially for working with photographs. (I don't use it for anything
| | else.)
| | | It's been my contention right along that you don't need Photoshop (at
| | least
| | | not the full version) to be able to prepare photos for the web. I'll
| write
| | | tutorial soon to help you out with setting up a Photo Toolbar that you
| can
| | | use to speed up your work either if you're more advanced or to help
| | | beginners realize the potential that can be found within this fine
| | product.
| | | If you want to contact me about what to put in such a tutorial don't
| | | hesitate to contact me: (e-mail address removed) You might want to check out
| | this
| | | page now for earlier tutorials and articles about image editing:
| | | http://www.eleanorstravels.com/suggestedresources.htm
| | | As many of you know it's my goal to help you with your image editing and
| | | photo gallery problems. I was a teacher for many years and enjoy writing
| | | these tutorials. Let me know what you need. There's no reason why your
| | | photos can't look great on your website. Visit mine to see many photos
| | from
| | | my travels: http://www.eleanorstravels.com/
| | | Eleanor ... sometimes known as 'grouchy' Eleanor.
| | |
| | |
| |
| |