(OT) Ad-aware deleted entries in HOSTS!

omega

John Fitzsimons said:
On 25 Sep 2004 14:36:19 GMT, "Dick Hazeleger"

Wow ! Thanks for the post. That IMO should ensure that no "Fresh"
programs ever make it to the PL list.

In my ideal world, the PW list would be deeply pure.

Software that is good or great, that would not be enough for it to be
considered Priceless. It would also have to be 100% free of even the
most fleeting ad, and nag, and all other soiled hints of impurity.

That said, I don't have the energy for campaigning. Besides, things get
hard when a software you personally really like...represents a compromise
in your abstract principles.

The other software I use (intensely admire in fact) which tries to track
days' usage, it's XXCopy.

All right, then at least no master time-out plan in the XXCopy case, that
which Dick H reported to be in effect with Fresh sw. As to registerware,
what a PITA. AceHTML Free, and Grisoft AVG, both of those I recall making
me start all over for new vesions, and go through a re-registration process.

AVG was an extra long hassle. It kept refusing my mail addresses. All mail
addresses from the first two domains I tried. The one domain, my standard
one, small server in France, comparatively unknown, I have no idea what
its prejudice was. I had to give up, and go out to sign up with a couple
of new email places, until finding a domain AVG would accept.

Dick Hazeleger

omega said:
[...]

Hi Karen,

I agree with you that this would be an ideal world; however RL is
different from what we think of as being "ideal" :(

Having said this, you don't need to "campaign" for FD; those who are
willing to meet the re-registering will have a very good download
manager, no question about that; those who don't want to meet this will
find a very good one in FDM.

AVG has changed their policy in matters of AVG 6 Free, it happens that
I need to download the newest AVG install set once in a while... untill
now - after going through the reg. screen - I had to re-install with a
new reg code, I found out that now you only get the file, and are
expected to have a reg. code already.

As for re-registering for the new upcoming version, I think it is only
natural and at least Grisoft doesn't use the 1 year subscription scheme
that for instance AVAST! uses.

Regarding the email problems you had: Could it be that there is
something particular in the way your small mail server wants things to
be done? Over at the FoxMail forum we had some problems reported
because of POP-before-SMTP on a French server, something similar could
be the case here.

BTW: Did anyone testing AVG 7 Free (Beta) notice the new "Auto-POP"
connection? Setting up AVG with FM was really a cinch. The only problem
at the moment with it is accessing Hotmail over the FoxHot Proxy ("port
110 already in use" error), but this one has been reported.

Registering free software can be a PITA, however, it sometimes also
brings you in contact with the very kind people who are willing to let
you use the fruits of their labor for free! Something we never should
forget!

Regards
Dick

Dick Hazeleger

eLmimo said:
Fresh >>> you'll have re-register every 400 days... At least I got
that reply >>> when I asked why my registration code (which I keep in
a separate >>> database) wasn't accepted anymore!

Thanks Dick, I'll check it.

Have a nice day
_ _
eLmimo

YW, eLmimo

Dick

omega

Dick Hazeleger said:
I agree with you that this would be an ideal world; however RL is
different from what we think of as being "ideal" :(

Having said this, you don't need to "campaign" for FD;

Minor clarify. The "campaign" reference would be in regard to activist
posts for purifying the PW list. (An area where I decline to expend
real energy, and am furthermore aware of the intricacies of the subject.)
those who are willing to meet the re-registering

Else do a merge of the registry key that I posted...
will have a very good download manager, no question about that; those
who don't want to meet this will find a very good one in FDM.
[...]
Regarding the email problems you had: Could it be that there is
something particular in the way your small mail server wants things to
be done? Over at the FoxMail forum we had some problems reported
because of POP-before-SMTP on a French server, something similar could
be the case here.

It was nothing to do with POP or any protocol. The refusal was right at
the AVG sign-up page. At first I thought it did not like the hyphen (-)
character in my email address. So then I tried mail addresses without it.
Then a new domain (forget which). Until finally trying a third domain,
that it was not blacklisting. No FAQ that I saw on specifically which
domains it refuses. And, as mentioned, it made no sense to me regarding
the small French server, as there is no history (in my awareness) of that
server getting reputed to be a chosen throw-away, say for spammers or
whatever.

The AVG signup was so much work, I'm going to rest for /a month at least/
before dealing with any more registerware. I've got about five things in
my inbound-zip folder, which, after my going through the work of installing
them, abruplty told me they were not willing to proceed. Not until I logged
onto the web, filled out forms, set a watch on mailbox, etc, etc, until
eventually receiving a sekrit code. Those softwares, fine, I'll just let
them sit and decay indefinitely, seeing how they don't want to run on their
own.

ms

ms said:
omega wrote:

Thanks for a very informative reply. Yes to the above question. I am
still looking into the topics you mentioned. Thanks much for the offer
to review my install list as i was wondering how to adress those
programs. A suggestion as it is fairly long- could you contact me at
(e-mail address removed), insert m*i*k*e*s*h*a*p* for 12 and net for com? Then I
could privately send you the list for review. Just a suggestion.

Mike Sa
Karen:
I didn't hear back, so as you said, I guess you'd prefer that I list the file
names here. I will try to come up with a brief list, it's difficult as the folder
lists file names only, and later that does not tell too much.

I use individual.net so I can't see binaries, do you have a website that you can
post as a download source?

TIA

Mike Sa

ms

omega said:
I tried downloading a file from there just now...with a web browser
(K-Meleon). I got a corrupted download, not the full file.

Then I tried the same download with a dedicated program. Used Win32Get.
The server dumped the transmission about a dozen times during this 165k
transfer. Nevertheless, Win32Get did its job: it kept reconnecting,
automatically, and stayed stubborn until it at last got the full size
it knew to demand.

Switch to using a download manager...

The worst phone lines, the weakest server, the steepest hops across
the hubs, none of it will stop a strong download manager from its
determination to finish its route.

To deliver us out packets, they will not be stopped by rain, hail,
sleet, nor snow.
I have been with Copper for nearly a year, now. IIRC, you had a few issues with
them, but for me (DUN) it has been trouble-free. Very seldom do I have a dropped
connection.

Mike Sa

omega

ms said:
I didn't hear back, so as you said, I guess you'd prefer that I list the file
names here.

Yes, you're right. It makes more sense to me. Besides, you never know, what
could come up. For instance, if an adware/payware/malware type creature had
somehow snuck into your downloads folder, we could get a heads up.
I will try to come up with a brief list, it's difficult as the folder
lists file names only, and later that does not tell too much.

I hadn't thought about that: situation of not having more than the setup
names. Well, might as well go ahead and list them out (if you feel it's too
big a post, you could always list them together on the same lines, and not
one line per item). Surely there could still be a fair enough number of
programs that might be recognizable even from their setup exe names.
I use individual.net so I can't see binaries,

Same as I...
do you have a website that you can post as a download source?

The free Portland web server seems to be doing okay. Another route is that
I could look into that yousendit service. I've saved the recent posts here
that explain it, though haven't yet tried it.

omega

ms said:
I have been with Copper for nearly a year, now. IIRC, you had a few issues with
them, but for me (DUN) it has been trouble-free. Very seldom do I have a dropped
connection.

The next thread where you run into Mark Warner, who provided you the
recommendation, you might footnote your feedback for him.

: [...]
: I'd be interested in your opinion of them once you've gotten
: set up and are using their service. I have on occasion been in
: a position where I provide low income people with old donated
: computers, and have been looking at copper.net as the ISP
: to use to hook them up to the 'Net.

: From: "Mark Warner" <[email protected]>
: Subject: Re: OT- recommend an ISP?
: Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:21:27 -0500

eLmimo

XanaNews/1.15.8.4

Hello Dick,

I would be interested to compare Xana and 40tude.

Can you, or others here, help me, before going and install XanaNews.

Or, is there somewhere reading about the subject, please ?

Have a nice day
_ _
eLmimo

John Fitzsimons

On 26 Sep 2004 09:34:57 GMT, Dick Hazeleger wrote:

Hello Dick,
I would be interested to compare Xana and 40tude.

Totally different. 40tude has far more capability than Xana. Xana
however is a very good "set and forget" newsreader. Which is best
depends on how much one knows about newreaders/newsreading.
Newbies should love Xana. Power users love 40tude.
Can you, or others here, help me, before going and install XanaNews.
Or, is there somewhere reading about the subject, please ?

news.software.readers

Dialog posts (should) have Dialog in the subject header. :)

Regards, John.

,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
/ Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
\_,--.x/ http://www.vicnet.net.au/~johnf/welcome.htm
v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/

John Fitzsimons

On 26 Sep 2004 09:34:57 GMT, "Dick Hazeleger"

Registering free software can be a PITA, however, it sometimes also
brings you in contact with the very kind people who are willing to let
you use the fruits of their labor for free! Something we never should
forget!

Agreed, BUT the problem that I have with the "Fresh" programs is that,
unless I missed it, there is no mention of the fact that one has to
re-register the software after a certain period. It makes me wonder
what else they have kept from users. Authors who aren't "up front"
about their software often have spyware, or other malware, as part of
their download.

Regards, John.

Dick Hazeleger

Wayne wrote:

Fresh software's registration process stinks.

I prefer Star Downloader.

It's, to put it mildly, a bit awkward; and they don't tell you upfront
that you will have to re-register again in 13 months (400 days);
needless to say that I removed all Fresh software from the system...
you're right Fresh' registration smells... and it ain't a fresh smell
(pun intended)

Dick

Dick Hazeleger

John said:
On 26 Sep 2004 09:34:57 GMT, "Dick Hazeleger"

Agreed, BUT the problem that I have with the "Fresh" programs is that,
unless I missed it, there is no mention of the fact that one has to
re-register the software after a certain period. It makes me wonder
what else they have kept from users. Authors who aren't "up front"
about their software often have spyware, or other malware, as part of
their download.

Regards, John.

Hi John,

In the "newsreader" post we differ in opinion; I only (nowadays)
monitor a small amount of newsgroups; and I do like a "set and forget"
newsreader; and XanaNews is getting better with every new version, so
I'll just stick with it...

In the post quoted above we agree, I too wondered why this
re-registering... to keep their information up-to-date? OK, but for
what? For the advertizers on their site? That would implicate that they
would hand out that data (for which there is no proof, let me say that
very clearly here)... IMO, and I see we agree on that issue as well,
being open from the first page on is the only right thing to do...
though others may have different ideas about that.

Regards
Dick

eLmimo

Totally different. 40tude has far more capability than Xana. Xana
however is a very good "set and forget" newsreader. Which is best
depends on how much one knows about newreaders/newsreading.
Newbies should love Xana. Power users love 40tude.

news.software.readers

Dialog posts (should) have Dialog in the subject header. :)

Regards, John.

And how about Xnews ? (please...)

Have a nice day
_ _