Optical Mouse

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Im looking for an Optical mouse, and i want recommendations!

I'm willing to part with upto £40.

Also, with optical mice is it better to have no mouse mat or have a mouse mat? or does it make no difference what so ever?

P.S : Im using this mouse for gaming, mainly First Person Shooters, if that helps.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Logitech ... Good review here

Those of you who've used cordless mice will appreciate the freedom of movement they afford and the lack of a cable that snags and drags across your desktop. Unfortunately, cordless mice are not without their downside, namely relatively poor performance compared to an equivalent corded mouse. Some cordless mice I have previously reviewed can be seen here and here.

Let's not forget the other big disadvantage, the fact they require batteries! In fact this is the main cause for their poor performance. In an attempt to maximise the battery life, the mouse's optical detection system is operated at a lower power level than those normally used in corded mice. This results in reduced sensitivity and poor tracking. Another problem, again related to a degree to battery power conservation, is the radio technology used to communicate between the mouse and the computer only relaying mouse movements at a lowly 25 - 50 updates per second. Resulting in a jerky and imprecise on-screen cursor movement. A typical USB corded mouse has an update rate of 125 times per second, producing a significantly smoother and precise movement, not to mention cheaper. It is easy to see why cordless mice have never been as popular as their corded brethren.

Apparently that is until now...
:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Reefsmoka, if you can stretch to another tenner, go for the Logitech MX700. Apparently it was the first optical cordless mouse to offer the same accuracy as a corded ball mouse.

I've had one for around nine months or so, best mouse I've ever had, and is it any good for fps? I would say so, just seeing my name at the top of the list after a map or six of COD every now and again is testament to that :D

I really don't know about any others, as good as Microsoft mice are, I've never found one that I liked the feel of, Logitech always seemed to handle better to me. But it is down to personal preference.

The MX700 is £50.00.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh, just noticed the question about mouse mats.

If you have a good surface, no, you don't need one. But I use an Everglide clear mat mostly cos I was wearing out the veneer on my desk.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
No $alls is understandable as it could be a female mouse but no tail? That is hard to digest.

I agree the corded mouse is a better option, I once bought a tailless mouse and the batteries lasted only a month (alkaline). Phew! I do not use that mouse anymore.

Currently using a Microsoft Optical Mouse both at home and at work. Never used the Logitech one but I believe Flops when he says it is a better one compared to Microsoft. Not sure how much is the price difference but if you do not want to go for logitech due to its higher price you can consider the Microsoft one which I reckon should be in your budget.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hiya Quad. I don't really know if one is better than the other, tbh. Microsoft or Logitech, it's all down to personal preference and how they feel to you, I think.

As for the batteries, the MX700 comes with two AA rechargeable batteries and when you're not using the mouse, you place it in the receiver/charger and they'll fully charge in less than an hour. Just plonking it there overnight is OK, I've never had to recharge apart from overnight unless I've forgotten to put the mouse in the charger when I go to bed, which is rare.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Here we go, a coupla pix, to the left of the case is the charger/receiver and the mouse is in plain view, methinks :D

Attachments

• desk02.jpg
    desk02.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 170
  • desk01.jpg
    desk01.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 212

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Oh, just noticed the question about mouse mats.

If you have a good surface, no, you don't need one. But I use an Everglide clear mat mostly cos I was wearing out the veneer on my desk.
Where'd you get that mouse mat from?

I seen it in that picture you posted and its pretty cool.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Overclockers.co.uk

I tried three other mats before finally settling on this one - it's good.

Pic link thingie below:

Attachments

• everglide.jpg
    everglide.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Mouse Mat?

I use a 75p thing from Staples. :D

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well i've bought a Microsoft WheelMouse Limited Edition (£20) (its in black^^) and ordered one of those Everglide mats (about £18 inc delivery)that one of you posted a picture of :)

Thanks for the help guys.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Could not resist, ended up with the Logitech Cordless Elite Keyboard and MX 700 Cordless mouse. I never knew these two could make so much difference. I reformated the harddrive and installed everything all over again just to celebrate the two new additions! :D

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
do you notice much of a delay after using corded for so long?

I was thinking about going cordless, but when you see all these lan tournaments, all the pro's use corded.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
do you notice much of a delay after using corded for so long?

I was thinking about going cordless, but when you see all these lan tournaments, all the pro's use corded.
Do they? I never knew that. I've been using the MX700 for a while now (cordless) and often get to be first in some maps playing CoD online.

I have a feeling all those LAN players using corded mice are just trying to show they're serious without ever having tried the Logi Cordless.

I can honestly say the MX700 gives me the same response as all corded mice I've tried, and I have tried a fair few.

I'd really like to try the boomslang, but I've read so many stories of people trying it and being disappointed with it, many abandoning it altogether, I'm not willing to shell out fifty quid on the off chance.

Ask a Question