Opinions on new system for a friend

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
He has a five year old Pentium 4 3Ghz with AGP grafix card and wants to upgrade.

Within his budget I have cobbled together the system pictured below.

He also wants a 22" monitor, I have suggested the Samsung Aqua at around £180.00

So, chaps and chappesses - comments? Alternatives? What would you buy?

One caveat - he's an Intel freak so no AMD.

attachment.php

Attachments

• roy_computer_001a.jpg
    roy_computer_001a.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 155

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Looks pretty good, although with the cheap price of Quads at the moment, might it be worth going for one of those? As if its been 5 years since his last PC, might as well try and future proof.

Lots of power in a Quad that he might not use but with Core- i7 impending, i think next year we are gonna see a big push for applications utilising Quads.

Whats the Budget?, is it just gonna be a decent home PC? bit of gaming etc?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Looks pretty good, although with the cheap price of Quads at the moment, might it be worth going for one of those? As if its been 5 years since his last PC, might as well try and future proof.

Lots of power in a Quad that he might not use but with Core- i7 impending, i think next year we are gonna see a big push for applications utilising Quads.

Whats the Budget?, is it just gonna be a decent home PC? bit of gaming etc?

Thanks for the input.

Sorry, but if myself or a friend want a system NOW i/we will build now because if you wait for next big thing you'll be waiting forever.

Do you really think getting a quad core is future proofing?

What, exactly, are the advantages of having four processors in one?

When it comes to gaming - extremely little.

When it comes to multi-tasking, just how much speedgain are we going to see by having four software apps open at once? Not a great deal I'd say.

Only advantage with quad, far as I can see, is crunching. And after nine years of seriously dedicated 24/7 crunching with up to 4 rigs, no, I don't feel guilty about stopping crunching.

I think, seriously, apart from power users, for the next few years at least dual core is ample.

The budget, as discussed at the pub tonight, was me saying £500 should see you ok, but I forgot about hard disk and case.

So I've upped it to £600.00.

S'ok, he can afford it, lol

He's also gonna need a 22" Monitor for which I have initially recommended a Samsung Aqua.

Also, PC is on 4th floor, PS3 will be in basement with TV, he's asking about getting online for games with PS3, I'm still thinking on this one. When he done up the house I told him to route ethernet cable. He didn't.

We shall see.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Made this on Aria,

Slight changes, Q6700 as its on special, Mobo that supports DDR2 & DDR3, 750GB HDD as its on special and is 32MB Cache. HD 4850 as it smashes 8800GT for £10 more.

Attachments

• build.JPG
    build.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 76

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Do you really think getting a quad core is future proofing?

What, exactly, are the advantages of having four processors in one?

I think it is future proofing, well as much as you can anyway, is better to go with the newer technology if you can, espcially if it doesn't cost alot more.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Not bad, not bad, but a couple of things.

The friend had (has) a 3Ghz system and without explaining the whys and wherefores of C2D, I'd like to stay with 3Ghz for the feelgood factor for numbhead friend.

I honestly, at this moment, won't go with ATI Vid cards. Reliance on Microsoft net framework and poor Linux drivers speaks volumes of where they're coming from.

Nvidia are embracing the whole real world at the moment, much more savvy.

Oh, and their cards are better too ;)

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Okay, well i think the Mobo is a definite keeper, very good board and if it turns out that DRR3 is worth the money two years down the line then it supports it, 8800GT or 9800GTX it is then.

Although OCUK has the 8800GTX for £105 at the mo.

Reaction score
Looks OK, but what about having a Blu-Ray drive?
Or are they to expensive?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Although OCUK has the 8800GTX for £105 at the mo.

Have you got a link to that card? I can't find it.

Abarb:

ATI's a no-no ;)

The GT 8800 is well worth considering, thank you.

One supplier to cut down on postage, I'm afraid, plus only one delivery which is a real consideration when you live alone and you're working.

I'm not that fussed about hard drive manufacturer, really, price dictates, but I will say I'm wary of Western Digital as I've had about five or six of their drives die on me and I like Samsung cos they're quiet and have been good so far.

I changed the vid card, saw this one on special offer, absolute bargain, but they will probably be sold out by the time me mate decides to build.

If a similar system can be purchased complete from, say, Aria or Scan, I'd consider that as well.

Main criteria are: Intel; 3Ghz; Nvidia card.

attachment.php

Attachments

• royscomputer002.jpg
    royscomputer002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 177
Reaction score
Well if you are worried about delivery use scan they do free delivery when you sign up with hexus form and post 20 posts.

I ordered from them this week and it took around 36 hours to get to me. Pretty good for it being free.

As for the system is looks good, I understand you will be getting a Samsung Monitor something like this:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-093-SA

Bloody good for sure I got something Similar Samsung are really hot at the moment. :)

What OS you going to install?

with 4gb you'd have to go down the "dreaded" 64 bit road

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99 said:
Well if you are worried about delivery use scan they do free delivery when you sign up with hexus form and post 20 posts.

I have free delivery with Scan, have had ever since they started that scheme.

It's not the cost that bothers me but having to stay in possibly all day to take delivery.

All the time I stay at home I'm not working.

psd99 said:
I ordered from them this week and it took around 36 hours to get to me. Pretty good for it being free.

Again, having a definite delivery day is quite crucial to me.

Hymie said:
What OS you going to install?

with 4gb you'd have to go down the "dreaded" 64 bit road

I know.

XP, probably, possibly Vista.

XP recognises 3Gb and memory is cheap so c'est la vie.

Vista 32 bit kinda makes out it recognises 4Gb with SP3 but it doesn't really use all of it.

But my friend will see 4Gb (if he uses Vista) and be happy, so that's what counts ;)

Reaction score
Well on my new build I was considering 64 bit XP but then I got put off because none wants to support it any more.

I've used Vista a few times and so far not so impressed!

Ask a Question