Word opening word documents

Reaction score
How do I open a Microsoft Word document in Windows Vista eg one sent as an attachment, or one I have written and saved as a Word document?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
What e-mail program are you using?

Outlook? Outlook Express? Other?

Within Outlook, open the e-mail, click on File, click on Save Attachment, browse to location, save.

Other Word documents - assuming you have MS Office of some version or other installed - just click on it.

Reaction score
The problem is the computer came installed with Microsoft Works on it. If I create a document, I can save it in Microsoft Word format (via Save as), otherwise it saves as a Works document. However, I can't then reopen it. Also, attachments that come from email can be saved but not opened

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
mererae said:
The problem is the computer came installed with Microsoft Works on it. If I create a document, I can save it in Microsoft Word format (via Save as), otherwise it saves as a Works document. However, I can't then reopen it. Also, attachments that come from email can be saved but not opened

You didn't mention Works did you?

When you save a MS Works document via 'Save As' to MS Word format you should still have the original document plus the saved document in MS Word format with the 'doc' file extension.

And e-mails will probably come with the 'doc' extension or possibly a 'txt' file extension, which you can open with MS Notepad.

Your best bet is to get hold of a copy of MS Office or if you don't want to/can't afford MS Office, download and install Open Office which is completely free and will open Word documents.

And I still don't know what e-mail program you're using, I did ask you for that information. I'm going to assume Outlook Express.

Reaction score
thanks so much for replying,

Yes I know I can save the documents as word files (along with as works documents), but can't re-open them. Word documents sent via email cannot be opened.
I only use web-based email
Yours,
Mere

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
To open Word documents you must have Word on your computer. Word is NOT part of Works.

You will have to get Word as part of the MS Office package, which costs money, OR you can download Open Office which is free and is compatible with Word and will allow you to open your documents and copy your emails.

Ask a Question