Opening Landscape/Portrait Word 2000 doc in Word 2002

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word Document Management' started by Dave Waller, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Dave Waller

    Dave Waller Guest

    Hi,

    I've sent my client several landscape/portrait docs that I
    created in Word 2000. These get opened and read okay by
    people with Word 97 or Word 2000. However, those with
    Word 2002 can't open the documents and when they try, it
    brings Word 2002 down.

    Obviously, I hope this is something that I can fix/change
    at my end within the document as I don't fancy asking my
    client to do something at their end.

    Compatability options are set to Word 2000 and virus scans
    come back clean.

    Hope someone can help?
    Many thanks,
    Dave

    Dave Waller, Jul 22, 2003

  2. Dave Waller wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've sent my client several landscape/portrait docs that I
    > created in Word 2000. These get opened and read okay by
    > people with Word 97 or Word 2000. However, those with
    > Word 2002 can't open the documents and when they try, it
    > brings Word 2002 down.
    >
    > Obviously, I hope this is something that I can fix/change
    > at my end within the document as I don't fancy asking my
    > client to do something at their end.
    >
    > Compatability options are set to Word 2000 and virus scans
    > come back clean.
    >
    > Hope someone can help?
    > Many thanks,
    > Dave

    Very strange. Unless there is an obvious cause known to others, without
    using your clients' Word 2002 setups (which might be flawed), you will
    have trouble debugging this.

    Can you avoid debugging by sending them not Word documents, but Adobe
    PDF's of these documents? Do they really need the Word source?

    Also, does same result occur (sorry--forgot you are not able debug with
    client's help) if you send them in RTF format?

    Rob Schneider, Jul 22, 2003

  3. Dave Waller

    Dave Waller Guest

    STOP PRESS

    I've just had an update from my 'other' source and have
    confirmed this with my client. The problem is not opening
    the file but printing it.

    Opening the file takes a long time but it does eventually
    open. The document can then be previewed and looks fine,
    i.e. a mix of portrait and landscape pages. However, hit
    the print button and Word dies.

    The only observation is that the tables in the landscape
    pages look like they go beyond the right margin. However,
    this prints okay in Word 2000 yet kills Word 2002.

    Hope the additional info helps.

    Rgds,
    Dave.

    some
    >sort of 'loan' Word 2002 laptop so that I can have a go

    at

    Dave Waller, Jul 22, 2003
  4. Dave Waller wrote:

    > STOP PRESS
    >
    > I've just had an update from my 'other' source and have
    > confirmed this with my client. The problem is not opening
    > the file but printing it.
    >
    > Opening the file takes a long time but it does eventually
    > open. The document can then be previewed and looks fine,
    > i.e. a mix of portrait and landscape pages. However, hit
    > the print button and Word dies.
    >
    > The only observation is that the tables in the landscape
    > pages look like they go beyond the right margin. However,
    > this prints okay in Word 2000 yet kills Word 2002.
    >
    > Hope the additional info helps.
    >
    > Rgds,
    > Dave.

    If you are contractually responsible to provide in Word 2000 format,
    then why are you worrying about Word 2002? Had to ask.

    It's *kind* of you to work it, and I'm sure it does not hurt your
    relations with you customer to be doing this ... but is this really your
    problem?

    My hunch is that this not a Word 2002 problem, but a printer driver
    problem on the client's machine.

    But without working it with them, and you and them unwilling to accept
    the possiblity of a fault on the customer's machine ... I wouldn't touch
    this with the proverbial 10-meter pole and instead get back to writing.

    Rob Schneider, Jul 22, 2003