One for Mr Flops and for any else who is expert in vinyl record cleaning

Reaction score
My wife has a load of vinyl records which haven't been played for years and years, I had a look at them the other day and many are very dusty. I am going to transfer them to the PC but before I do I need to clean them so that I can get the best quality audio that I can. Can someone advise me on the best method of cleaning them.;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Dishwasher?

*This post may contain some sarcasm *

Reaction score
Washing up bowl type container or in the sink, warm slighty soapy water using a soft cloth rub around in circles to clear out dust and stuff from grooves.

Used to do all mine like that

Dry using a soft cloth again. Don't put them straight back into sleeves leave them over night spaced apart to finish drying. Do NOT be tempted to use a hair dryer or like!!!!!!!

;)

Last edited by a moderator:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
One of two ways, really, either use a liquid cleaner and a velvet pad cleaner or buy a mechanical device for cleaning vinyl. The vinyl cleaning machines cost between 30 and 300 pounds on average and will obviously vary in effectiveness. I have no experience of any of those machines so can't comment.

I use This stuff with One of these for cleaning, they do a good job.

The fluid is basically about 60% isopropyl alcohol and 40% demineralised water and I sometimes use that mix which seems to work ok. I'm told there is also a small amount of some kind of detergent in the commercially available cleaner but I haven't been able to verify this or find out what it is, if indeed there is any detergent included.

Recording from vinyl to WAV, FLAC or mp3 file is a very time consuming process as it's preferable to record each track individually rather than one whole LP side at a time. And in my personal opinion it's a waste of time recording to mp3, the quality loss kinda negates the whole process.

There is a free version of software named dbPower amp with an Auxillary module available for recording that does a good job, I think there's a link to it in V_R's software links thread but if you can't find it PM me and I'll host it for you for download. It's quite legal, it's a freebie.

The freebie dbPoweramp, however, won't record to FLAC, only WAV, but that's quite ok. I hope you have lots of spare disk space for this endeavour btw. A good time saver - and I've offered this before - is send me a list of what you want to convert and I'll send them to you in FLAC form.

Lots of the music I have I have purchased in more than one format in the past, the most common being vinyl and CD, so morally at least it's sortta legal ;) ( << that statement may be the subject of an edit, I'll have to think about it).

Anyhow, you've bought them, so if you can shorten the process - why not?

Audacity, another freebie software program, will also suit your needs for recording but it's not as good as dbPoweramp. I bought the full version of dbPoweramp, btw, which converts music files and CD's to FLAC but which, oddly, doesn't have a record facility.

And unless your turntable has a built in RIAA preamp stage you will need an external device for signal matching, a cheapie on Ebay or Amazon will set you back £20 / 25.

Good luck and if you need any help just ask here :)

EDIT: Dishwasher's a definite no-no! :eek: Have you seen what dishwashers do to glassware after a while?

Reaction score
Hi VR as the advert said "I am the dishwasher" in our household . TD did you mean, "don't be tempted to use a hair dryer or the like:D"

Reaction score
As I posted the last post your post came on to the screen thanks Flops for the advice I am going to check if the turntable has a Built in RIAA. As far as disc space I have about 4.5 TB spare hopefully that should plenty. I have just checked the turntable it does have a RIAA equliser

Ask a Question