Old Skool

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just opened up my tuner as the fascia illumination went on it. Now I got to get me a 6 volt lamp.

Just realised I had this tuner since 1981, that's 23 years old, completely analogue, no presets, heavy flywheel on rear of tuning knob, excellent reception and fine sound. It's a NAD 4020A.

Anyway, take a look at the circuit board, they don't make 'em like that anymore :)

Attachments

• tuner.jpg
    tuner.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 1,856

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I wish all electronics was that simple, it would be repairable then - instead of chucking things out because a chip has blown!

Is that a variable capacitor at the back there?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I wish all electronics was that simple, it would be repairable then - instead of chucking things out because a chip has blown!
You're right there, very easy to work on and trace signals.

Is that a variable capacitor at the back there?

It certainly is, that's the tuning capacitor, it's connected via all that string to the front tuning knob.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've never actually used a variable capacitor, but I've got one that looks just like that in a component box somewhere - I need to think of a project for it! :)

Ask a Question