OL2003: No Categories on Recurring Events generated from Contacts (e.g., birthdays)

PhiL PHiL

OL 2003 SP2
Windows XP Professional (Dell OEM factory installed)

---

I categorize my Contacts using my own custom Categories, which are
included in the Master Category List.

Having migrated to OL 2003 (on a retail Office 2003 Professional CD) on
my desktop for about a month, I just noticed Recurring Events in
Calendar generated from Contacts info such as Birthdays, Anniversaries
have been regenerated without any Categories being assigned. I deleted
all of these Recurring Events (including the original ones with
Categories) and resave the Contacts entry, but the new Event still has
no Category assigned; I repeated with the next Contacts entry, same
thing happened.

The OL 2003 on my Dell notebook is also exhibiting the same problem.
Patches and fixes are up-to-date on both machines. Is this behavior by
design - if so what is the logic behind no Category being assigned? If
this is a bug, how do I report it?

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

It's just the way it works... use a group by category view, add a category
to one event and drag the others to that category to add them.

PhiL PHiL

Ha ha.... fair enough - that's what I have been doing all these years.

However, the problem arises whenever I make changes to the Contact
entry: let's say the email address has been updated and the Contact is
resaved - a new Recurring Event without Category assigned is created, so
I end up with 2 Recurring Events for the same birthday: the existing
event with Categories I already assigned, and one new event without!
The problem is compounded by the fact that a new event is created every
time I make changes to the Contact, so if I update it 4 times, I get 4
new Events!!

Surely this is a bug, yes?

: It's just the way it works... use a group by category view, add a
category
: to one event and drag the others to that category to add them.
:
: --
: Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
: Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
: Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
: Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
:
:
:
: Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
: (e-mail address removed)
:
:
: "PhiL PHiL" <noreply(AT)mesquire.com> wrote in message
: : > OL 2003 SP2
: > Windows XP Professional (Dell OEM factory installed)
: >
: > ---
: >
: >
[...]

it shouldn't keep creating new ones. Are you importing/exporting (which
breaks any connection between the contact and appointment) ?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

PhiL PHiL said:
[...]

Nope.

In any case, if I were importing like you said it would only create a
single new event, but not multiple entries of the same one every time it
was resaved. No, only existing Contacts email addresses were being
resaved during my investigation, and OL treats it as a new uncategorized
Event every single time.

Just tested it on a neighbor's OL 2003 (a Dell OEM Office 2003 vs. my
retail Office 2003 Pro) and the exact same thing was happening.

[...]
: > :
: > : --
: > : Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
: > : Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
: > : Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
: > : Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
: > :
: > :
: > :
: > : Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
: > : (e-mail address removed)
: > :
: > :
: > : "PhiL PHiL" <noreply(AT)mesquire.com> wrote in message
: > : : > : > OL 2003 SP2
: > : > Windows XP Professional (Dell OEM factory installed)
: > : >
: > : >
: > : >