Of Castles and Geese

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
During the recent sunny weather, we decided to go to Caerphilly Castle grounds to feed the geese/ducks. We were lucky to find a parking spot fairly close (hubby isn't able to walk too far) and started to cross the green.

Loads of geese were "grazing" on the banks of the moat and around the greens, and as we approached, many eyes gave us the "once-over." "Ooh, humans with baggage.... is it shopping? Or have they come with offerings for US..?" They are very intelligent, and seem to have learnt that if someone just passes through without touching their bags, then they are unlikely to be interesting to a goose. But, if they spot a hand slipping into a bag, it is a cue to honk and let their goose friends know. "Hey! Over here... quick, somebody's brought EATS!"

I began to feed the small gathering of about six, who were closest, but there was a distant honk and I looked up to find about twenty more toddling very purposefully toward us. I was suddenly surrounded. A small skirmish broke-out between two of them who were very close-by, only just missing me (fortunately, because there was nowhere to step to get out of their way.)

They were generally very well-behaved, I did get prodded by the beak of one, who thought he was going to be left out, but he wasn't being the least bit nasty. Terry all this while, was watching from a distance. As a boy, he was regularly chased by a whole gang of farmyard geese who were intent on keeping small boys at bay - although in reality, said small boy was only trying to visit his aunty! But as they were always in a hissy-fit, Terry is still a tad wary (and to be fair, present day leg-problems wouldn't take kindly to any knocks or hard pecks!)

Once the "feeding frenzy" had abated, we continued to have a stroll around and took a few photos so there are a few piccies of our largest local landmark over in the gallery, plus "ye olde bright orange crane" in one. :p They are not in quite the right order, and somehow I've managed not to give them a title (ooops!) but if anyone is interested they're HERE :D

PS - Ciri, if you read this, there is a special one for Pringle!! ;)

Reaction score
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/gallery/showimage.php?i=592&catid=member&imageuser=30257

Brown geese.

The Queen doesn't own them then... :D

Looked like a very nice outing TC :thumb:

By the way your computer looks very tidily put together. Wish mine was like that
laughingsmiley.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... and a great day was had by all. :D

:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you all :D we only live about a mile from Caerphilly Castle, so we pass it frequently in the car, but don't always think to visit it. Typical eh? :rolleyes:

Ian - The Castle's "leaning tower" is said to have been damaged in the 1600s by Cromwell's roundheads in battle with King Charles 1st's Cavaliers. Less romantically-minded engineers tend to blame subsidance though. (The latter view seems likely because there used to be a lot of coal mining in this area.) Whether one follows the romantic view or the practical one, the "lean" is said to be about 10 degrees, which is a wee bit more than the Leaning Tower of Piza apparently. It must be the most photographed part of the Castle I should think. :nod:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well looks like you had a great day TC

That tower looks like its in mid freefall after being dynamited...:D

Yeah Geese used to chase me aswell when I was younger always hissing like mad, my dad always you to say don't get in there way as they can break a human arm..Not sure if thats true though...;)

I take it Pringle is a goose aswell possibly male...?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Crazylegs - yes Pringle is Cirianz pet goose :D Thought he might appreciate a goosey "pin-up" :lol:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I bet she looks lip smackingly good, to the other Goose of course..(Don't want people thinking I want to eat it)..:D

sol

Reaction score
beautifull pics ;) and those grounds look amazing,would love to visit there

we have hundreds of geese near us which do exactley the same thing-bag-food-quick dash for dinner-fight over whatever it is we have :lol:

hubby feeds them all while ime sat in the car as i cant stand without falling over-& no its not due to alchohol :lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you Sol :) ...no, probably not a good idea to fall over when they're in the middle of their "feeding frenzy" :lol: As I mentioned, I came close to losing my balance when two of them began to "argue" and there was lots of wing-flapping and a bit of a push-and-shove. Fortunately, they soon got over the squabble, when they realized that they were missing-out on the food :D

Ask a Question