    Since I have wiped the 64-Bit off my computer, can I install the 64-
    bit on another computer? Will it be supported as a licensed copy?

    , May 12, 2009

  2. DL Guest

    Re: OEM XP64 OS replaced with licensed version of XP, Is the OEM transferable?

    An oem version is licensed only to the first PC its installed on
    Did you actually Activate it?

    DL, May 12, 2009

  3. Re: OEM XP64 OS replaced with licensed version of XP, Is the OEM transferable?

    On Tue, 12 May 2009 11:52:23 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    > I am building a new computer and purchased an OEM version of XP Pro 64-
    > bit but found that nothing I had was compatible with XP64.

    Nothing was compatible? That sounds very strange. Almost *everything*
    that will run on 32-bit XP is compatible with the 64-bit version.

    > So I
    > replaced the 64-bit OS with a licensed version of XP Pro after a few
    > days.
    >
    > Since I have wiped the 64-Bit off my computer, can I install the 64-
    > bit on another computer?

    Technically, no. An OEM license is valid only on the first computer
    it's on, and it may never legally be moved to another.

    > Will it be supported as a licensed copy?

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, May 12, 2009
  4. Twayne Guest

    Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 May 2009 11:52:23 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
    >
    >> I am building a new computer and purchased an OEM version of XP Pro
    >> 64- bit but found that nothing I had was compatible with XP64.

    > Nothing was compatible? That sounds very strange. Almost *everything*
    > that will run on 32-bit XP is compatible with the 64-bit version.
    >

    >> So I
    >> replaced the 64-bit OS with a licensed version of XP Pro after a few
    >> days.
    >>
    >> Since I have wiped the 64-Bit off my computer, can I install the 64-
    >> bit on another computer?

    > Technically, no. An OEM license is valid only on the first computer
    > it's on, and it may never legally be moved to another.

    It actually depends on Activation, not the physical act of installing
    it. If it was never activated, all will go fine.

    Twayne, May 12, 2009

    On May 12, 1:52 pm, wrote:
    > I am building a new computer and purchased an OEM version of XP Pro 64-
    > bit but found that nothing I had was compatible with XP64.  So I
    > replaced the 64-bit OS with a licensed version of XP Pro after a few
    > days.
    >
    > Since I have wiped the 64-Bit off my computer, can I install the 64-
    > bit on another computer?  Will it be supported as a licensed copy?

    Yes, I activated it!!!!!!
    I guess I wasted some cash. I could see holding on to it when and if
    programs catch up but it seems they are passing up XP and writing for
    Vista anyways.
    So I guess there is no way to un-activate it.
    What if I get a note from my mother? Will MS accept that?
    Oh well, thanks for all the replies,even if it was bad news.
    I appreciate the help.

    , May 12, 2009
  6. Re: OEM XP64 OS replaced with licensed version of XP, Is the OEM transferable?

    "Twayne" <> wrote:

    >Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
    >> On Tue, 12 May 2009 11:52:23 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am building a new computer and purchased an OEM version of XP Pro
    >>> 64- bit but found that nothing I had was compatible with XP64.

    >> Nothing was compatible? That sounds very strange. Almost *everything*
    >> that will run on 32-bit XP is compatible with the 64-bit version.
    >>

    >>> So I
    >>> replaced the 64-bit OS with a licensed version of XP Pro after a few
    >>> days.
    >>>
    >>> Since I have wiped the 64-Bit off my computer, can I install the 64-
    >>> bit on another computer?

    >> Technically, no. An OEM license is valid only on the first computer
    >> it's on, and it may never legally be moved to another.

    >It actually depends on Activation, not the physical act of installing
    >it. If it was never activated, all will go fine.

    Actually, if it's been longer than 120 days since the last activation,
    all will go fine.

    Nate Grossman, May 12, 2009
  7. Re: OEM XP64 OS replaced with licensed version of XP, Is the OEM transferable?

    <> wrote in message
    On May 12, 1:52 pm, wrote:
    > I am building a new computer and purchased an OEM version of XP Pro 64-
    > bit but found that nothing I had was compatible with XP64. So I
    > replaced the 64-bit OS with a licensed version of XP Pro after a few
    > days.
    >
    > Since I have wiped the 64-Bit off my computer, can I install the 64-
    > bit on another computer? Will it be supported as a licensed copy?

    Yes, I activated it!!!!!!
    I guess I wasted some cash. I could see holding on to it when and if
    programs catch up but it seems they are passing up XP and writing for
    Vista anyways.
    So I guess there is no way to un-activate it.
    What if I get a note from my mother? Will MS accept that?
    Oh well, thanks for all the replies,even if it was bad news.
    I appreciate the help.

    Win XP x64 will be no more compatible in the future. How much did you pay
    for it?

    --

    Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

    Mike Hall - MVP, May 13, 2009
  8. Re: OEM XP64 OS replaced with licensed version of XP, Is the OEM transferable?

    On Tue, 12 May 2009 17:41:39 -0500, Nate Grossman
    <> wrote:

    > "Twayne" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Ken Blake, MVP wrote:

    > >> Nothing was compatible? That sounds very strange. Almost *everything*
    > >> that will run on 32-bit XP is compatible with the 64-bit version.

    > >> Technically, no. An OEM license is valid only on the first computer
    > >> it's on, and it may never legally be moved to another.

    > >It actually depends on Activation, not the physical act of installing
    > >it. If it was never activated, all will go fine.

    > Actually, if it's been longer than 120 days since the last activation,
    > all will go fine.

    No, it has nothing do with activation as opposed to installation, and
    it's not an issue of how long it has been since the last activation.
    The license clearly states that once it's installed on a computer, it
    may not be moved to another.

    That's the rule. When Twayne says "all will go fine" and when you say
    "all will go fine," you are simply talking about what you can do to
    get away with the illegal act.

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, May 13, 2009
  9. Twayne Guest

    Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 May 2009 17:41:39 -0500, Nate Grossman
    > <> wrote:

    >>> It actually depends on Activation, not the physical act of
    >>> installing it. If it was never activated, all will go fine.

    >> Actually, if it's been longer than 120 days since the last
    >> activation, all will go fine.

    > No, it has nothing do with activation as opposed to installation, and
    > it's not an issue of how long it has been since the last activation.
    > The license clearly states that once it's installed on a computer, it
    > may not be moved to another.
    >
    > That's the rule. When Twayne says "all will go fine" and when you say
    > "all will go fine," you are simply talking about what you can do to
    > get away with the illegal act.

    You need to go back and recheck your definitions.

    Twayne, May 13, 2009
  10. peter Guest

    Re: OEM XP64 OS replaced with licensed version of XP, Is the OEM transferable?

    Legally all of the other posters are correct..but
    It will install and you can activate it. It might require a phone call where
    you
    will need to tell a little white lie and say your HD went bad and are doing
    a reinstall with a new one.
    its better than wasting the $$$
    peter

    or disruptive,please ignore it.
    to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :)

    peter, May 13, 2009
  11. Anteaus Guest

    Re: OEM XP64 OS replaced with licensed version of XP, Is the OEM

    Microsoft claim that OEM reuse is illegal, but it is only illegal if a court
    rules it so. As far as I know this has never been tested, and probably won't
    since losing such a case would be a serious blow to Microsoft's licensing
    policies.

    Copyright (which is the legal basis of software licensing) is intended to
    prevent subversion of a product by way of illegal duplication or public
    performance. Moving a hard-disk from one box to another involves no copying
    or public distribution whatsoever, therefore it is hard to see how copyright
    law can have any applicability here.

    "This is a wonderful computer. It''s 20yrs old and absolutely reliable.
    And, in all that time it''s only had four mobos, six processors, two cases,
    seven OS''s ...."

    Anteaus, May 25, 2009