OEM Licence

Dave

I have done some reading on this and I am somewhat
confused about my situation. I have built my own PC and
purchased an OEM version of XP Pro. My question is what
hapeens if my mother board dies and I decide to replace
it with some thing different? Can I still use my OEM
version? It will still be the same computer just a
different board. Thanks for your help.

Dave

purplehaz

Funny you ask this. A few people here just had a discussion about this
yesterday.
I am in the process of verifing this with the ms oem team.
This info is if you plan to follow the ms eula. If you don't want to follow
the eula, then do what you want.
My understanding is the motherboard is the computer. Changing the
motherboard would be a new computer. And since oem version cannot be
transfered to another computer/motherboard, you cannot install the same xp
oem version after you change your motherboard. XP gets tied to the first
computer/motherboard it's installed on. No transfers allowed on oem
versions.

kurttrail

purplehaz said:
Funny you ask this. A few people here just had a discussion about this
yesterday.
I am in the process of verifing this with the ms oem team.
This info is if you plan to follow the ms eula. If you don't want to
follow the eula, then do what you want.
My understanding is the motherboard is the computer. Changing the
motherboard would be a new computer. And since oem version cannot be
transfered to another computer/motherboard, you cannot install the
same xp oem version after you change your motherboard. XP gets tied
to the first computer/motherboard it's installed on. No transfers
allowed on oem versions.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm

This is a reposting of the answer I recieved from Microsoft OEM System
Builder Licensing Team last year.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Dave

Kurt,

Thanks for the post. This still doesn't fully answer my
question as I have built my own system and therefore if
my board dies I wouldn't have to get the same thing. And
actually who knows if it would still be available. Thanks
for the help.

Dave

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

According to the EULA, an OEM license may not be transferred from
one distinct PC to another PC.

However, Microsoft has, to date, been very careful _not_ to define
when an incrementally upgraded computer ceases to be the original
computer. The closest I've seen a Microsoft employee come to this
definition is to tell the person making the inquiry to consult the
PC's manufacturer. As the OEM license's support is solely the
responsibility of said manufacturer, they should determine what sort
of hardware changes to allow before the warranty and support
agreements are voided. An incrementally upgraded computer ceases to
be the original computer, as pertains to the OEM EULA, only when the
*OEM* says it's a different computer.

If you've built the PC yourself, and used a generic OEM WinXP CD,
*you* are the OEM, and *you* get to decide when you're going to stop
supporting the system and its OS.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you: