OCZ vs Kingston - Which to get?

steven67@

Robert said:
Hi, I am building a new system with an AMD 3500+ 64bit CPU. I'm not an
overclocker or anything, but I want good RAM. My decision is down to two
choices ... which is best?

OCZ:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/OCZ_DDR_PC-3500_Dual_Channel

Kingston:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=38908

The Kingston page has a price in CAD, but the OCZ does not so I don't know
the difference in price. Opinions?

Robert

..

Either would probably be fine.

Have you considered Crucial's high-performance Ballistix memory. Two 512MB PC4000
Ballistix DIMMs are more than $60CAD cheaper than the Kingston PC3500 DIMMs you
found. And Crucial has a coupon for another 4% off.

Crucial: http://www.crucial.com

Bob Day

Robert TV said:
Hi, I am building a new system with an AMD 3500+ 64bit CPU. I'm not an
overclocker or anything, but I want good RAM. My decision is down to two
choices ... which is best?

OCZ:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/OCZ_DDR_PC-3500_Dual_Channel

Kingston:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=38908

The Kingston page has a price in CAD, but the OCZ does not so I don't know
the difference in price. Opinions?

A few years ago, OCZ was having some problems with its RDRAM
PC1066 modules, and posters in the Gigabyte newsgroup reported
being told by OCZ tech support that having a few memory errors
reported by memtest86 was perfectly OK. Consequently, I would
never trust OCZ. Crucial, Kingston, and Corsair are all fine.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

Miss Perspicacia Tick

Bob said:
A few years ago, OCZ was having some problems with its RDRAM
PC1066 modules, and posters in the Gigabyte newsgroup reported
being told by OCZ tech support that having a few memory errors
reported by memtest86 was perfectly OK. Consequently, I would
never trust OCZ. Crucial, Kingston, and Corsair are all fine.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

So you base your non-recommendation on an isolated issue with one board
several years ago? I can tell you I've been using OCZ for years (always with
ASUS boards) and have never had a single problem. I would go with OCZ.

Bob Day

Miss Perspicacia Tick said:
So you base your non-recommendation on an isolated issue with one board
several years ago?

No. I'm basing it more on OCZ's reported attitude that
a few memory errors are OK.

-- Bob Day

Larc

| "Robert TV" <[email protected]> said:
|
| > I want good RAM. My decision is down to two choices ... which is best?
|
| Mushkin is better than either.

Depends on the motherboard. Mushkin won't cooperate when I try to OC
my system, but Kingston will. Mushkin is very stable just as long as
I don't deviate from standard memory and clock settings in the BIOS.
But one tiny deviation, and the system either won't start or will
freeze up once it does.

Larc

Rich Lowe

I would go with either the OCZ PC3500 EB or PC3700 EB (Extended
Bandwidth), or if not the Crucial Ballistix PC4000. This is all if
you are not overclocking. Check www.anandtech.com for reviews on the
OCZ EB. They also have reviews on the Ballistix except it is for
their PC3200 as 2-2-2, which is kickass if you decide to overclock.

v/r

Rich

Rich Lowe

Sorry, my last post was if you are using an AMD, if not, well then
there are a few more options. But nevertheless those options are
still very good for an Intel too, but I wouldn't go with anything else
if you have an AMD.

Rich

Zotin Khuma

Bob Day said:
No. I'm basing it more on OCZ's reported attitude that
a few memory errors are OK.

-- Bob Day

I don't have enough experience with memtest86 or with the technical
side of RAMs to argue. But I've had a few instances where memtest86
finds several errors on the first run with a new RAM stick, but
nothing on subsequent cycles of the standard test sequence. Not even
when the computer is turned off and restarted after cooling down. I've
used such RAM sticks without any problem.

Bob Day

Zotin Khuma said:
"Bob Day" <[email protected]> wrote in message

I don't have enough experience with memtest86 or with the technical
side of RAMs to argue. But I've had a few instances where memtest86
finds several errors on the first run with a new RAM stick, but
nothing on subsequent cycles of the standard test sequence.

A. That should never happen, and requires further investigation
if it does. Errors that "magically" go away have a nasty habit
of magically re-appearing.

B. Memory errors that occurred *initially* weren't the issue anyhow,
it was errors that occur at any time.

-- Bob Day