Obscene pop ups

G

I am sick and tired of obscene pop-ups. I have tried to delete the messenger service, I have installed Norton firewall and NOTHING is stopping these irritating messages popping up every time I log on. Why is there a messenger service with Windows XP? I can see no use for it whatsoever if all tht happens is obscene (probably virused) messages keep appearing on screen. Does anyone have any idea of how to get rid of the whole messenger service? I want nothing to do with it.

G

I am not recomending this but since you asked

Well first disable messenger service in computer management. Disabling the messenger service should have worked in the first place.
Create a restore point
Then backup and delete the following keys
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Messenge
You will need to do this for all of the control sets ie. currentcontrolset001 currentsontrolset003 etc
Then reboot
I tested this - when you go back to computer management it WILL NOT list the messenger servic
THIS MAY HAVE SERIOUS RAMIFICATIONS ON YOUR INSTALLATION OF THE OPERATING SYSTEM
If it does use system restore to correct or import the backed up registry keys
When i tried this MSN messenger 6.1 still logged in and sent / recieved messages...this is only the windows messenger service, the 2 are completely different

Good luck Mr. Fedup - get well soon.

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings,

What you're seeing is the Messenger service built-in to Windows, *not* Windows Messenger
(which are two different things) which spammers are exploiting -- this is not Microsoft, nor
can Microsoft control them anymore then they can control spam to your e-mail inbox.

To get rid of these pop ups, you'll need to disable the "Messenger Service", click Start,
then Run, enter "services.msc"and click OK. Scroll down to "Messenger", select it,
right-click and then choose Properties. Under startup type, choose 'Disabled' and then
choose the 'Stop' button. After the service is stopped, click OK. Nothing in Windows or any
real third-party applications should be effected by this.

Just as a little reminder, make sure you've protected yourself against the latest security
issues by visiting WindowsUpdate and installing the security patches:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
(This isn't related to the Messenger Service in any way, just a reminder)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

Ask a Question