(O.T.) Ongoing amazement.

Roger Hunt

John Corliss said:
Foust said:
[snip]
|Bill, you need to do a reassessment. I haven't been "enforcing" very
|much lately because I just don't have the time.

And people are glad you don't have the time. ACF has been a pleasure to
read without you.
[snip}

Indeed, snip.

Anything said by a sock puppet using troll is irrelevant.
Doesn't this imply that sock puppets use trolls?
Surely "Sock-puppeted troll" would be less ambiguous (and scans better).

Vic Dura

On 13 Sep 2003 16:29:07 GMT, RE: Re: (O.T.) Ongoing amazement.
Not everybody has experience with bartering, and certainly we don't
all consider scrolling or clicking as work...it's just something you
do when using a computer. In any case, if you visit a website and see
ads, do you consider that "work" too?

I like the definition of freeware that was proposed: it's anything
legal that you don't have to pay for with money, and includes adware,
registerware, etc.

The pricelessware site would then have labels on everything that is in
these subgroups identifying them so that people who object to
particular types of freeware can avoid them.

No one is saying you can't have individual preferences on what you
have on your computer, just saying that the group would be enriched by
discussing more than simply freeware-with-no-attached-conditions, by
including those other types of freeware.

This sounds like a very sensible and workable compromise.

Andy Muppett

Foust said:
[snip]
|I see that without the slightest shred of evidence you even accused
|"Foust" (does he mean "Faust", I wonder?) of being Mavis Chillum in
|your usual paranoid fashion.

I mean Foust. Family name and all that.

My apologies, I stand corrected. No offence, you're doing great work
keeping the shrieking control freak in check. ;-)
Big shoes and red nose that "honks" when you squeeze it. That's me.

I thought that was John-Boy?

Ethel Mooner

dszady

(e-mail address removed) wrote in
Not everybody has experience with bartering, and certainly we don't
all consider scrolling or clicking as work...it's just something you
do when using a computer. In any case, if you visit a website and see
ads, do you consider that "work" too?

I like the definition of freeware that was proposed: it's anything
legal that you don't have to pay for with money, and includes adware,
registerware, etc.

The pricelessware site would then have labels on everything that is in
these subgroups identifying them so that people who object to
particular types of freeware can avoid them.

No one is saying you can't have individual preferences on what you
have on your computer, just saying that the group would be enriched by
discussing more than simply freeware-with-no-attached-conditions, by
including those other types of freeware.

If there was a vote again, that's how I would go.

Seconded

Andy Muppett

Vic Dura said:
.
.
(much very funny commentary snipped)

ROTFLMAO!!!

That's really funny! :)) I nearly asphyxiated myself I was laughing
so hard!

Take better care of yourself, Vic, ACF needs you!

It's reasurring to know that the work is in such good hands. :)

Ethel Mooner

Andy Muppett

Mister Charlie said:
Andy Muppett said:
John Corliss <[email protected]> wrote in message
Foust (Mavis Chillum troll) wrote:
says...
[snip]
|Bill, you need to do a reassessment. I haven't been "enforcing" very
|much lately because I just don't have the time.

And people are glad you don't have the time. ACF has been a pleasure to
read without you.
[snip}

Indeed, snip.

Anything said by a sock puppet using troll is irrelevant.

You just never learn, do you, John-Boy?

As an ex-ACF troll with less time for such amusements nowadays, I
still view the group with affection and occasionally stop by to read a
few posts.

My impression was that, although it took you many years to learn what
anyone with a normally developed ego would have learned in a week,
you'd nonetheless acquired a minimal amount of self-control and no
longer posted prime troll-bait on such a regular basis.

But what do I see here today?

The post title:

"Ongoing Amazement. *SOCK PUPPET TROLL ALERT*"

with your name beside it.

Still the same old Drama Queen, eh, John?

Now, as I said, my trolling days are over. But I have to admit that
the sight of such an irresistible title with your name beside it sent
the blood coursing through my veins as of old!

For a moment I wanted nothing more than to run a stick along the bars
of your cage, just for the pleasure of seeing you spring up yapping
and snarling as in the good old days.

And if I - a reformed troll, remember - felt such an uncontrollable
urge, how many practising trolls must have been galvanised by your
unmistakeable battle-cry?

You know the old saying, John-Boy - A leopard can't change its spots?

I'm thinking that perhaps there's some truth in the old cliché.

I see that without the slightest shred of evidence you even accused
"Foust" (does he mean "Faust", I wonder?) of being Mavis Chillum in
your usual paranoid fashion.

He/she isn't. I am, or rather, was.

I must admit that I'm *very* disappointed in you John-Boy. And just
when I though you'd acquired a modicum of wisdom and maturity!

Here we are, back to square one, with you posting prime troll-bait and
backing it up with false and completely unfounded accusations, just in
case the trolls failed to bite.

It would seem that you're still every bit as desperate for attention
as you were in your old John-The-Spam-Killer incarnation!

Of course, the entire:

(O.T.) Ongoing amazement

thread that you started was, of itself, a most accomplished piece of
troll-baiting. But the:

*SOCK PUPPET TROLL ALERT*"

refinement was the touch of a true Master!

As was the false and utterly unfounded accusation that this "Foust"
clown who doesn't know Goethe from Garbo was really the sublime Mavis
Chillum!

Well, you'll see that I couldn't let that pass, John-Boy.

I just had to say something.

I hope this word to the not-so-wise will have the desired effect, or
further steps may be necessary.

In any event, I shall be keeping a close eye on you, John-Boy.

A very close eye indeed.

Ethel Mooner

Gee. Glad to see you've given up trolling.

I'm glad you're glad, Charlie.

And thanks for quoting my original post in its entirety. Now everyone
will know for sure that Big-John's read it and is just too yellow to
reply. He likes to pretend he's killfiled posters he's afraid of, but
now that won't work.

Ethel Mooner

dszady

Mike said:
Crissakes, Mike, the only thing Vic does in here is stalk John. That
constituted personal attack in itself.

Wrong Mr. Shark. Unless I'm missing some posts along the way
Mr. Dura lately has not been stalking Mr. Corliss.
Actually IMHO he has contributed as much as anyone to this group.
We know who the real stalker is. (No, not you)

½

-½cut

wrote in
I like the definition of freeware that was proposed: it's anything
legal that you don't have to pay for with money, and includes adware,
registerware, etc.

By that definition, then, malware, spyware and other types of evils would
also be defined as kosher freeware.

Also, by the 'no money' definition would be any trialware. OK it's only
free for 30 days, but no money changes hands.

I'm with JC here - ACF should be kept as a repository for as 'pure'
freeware as can be found....like he says, there is *WAY* too much
advertising and commercial blandishment in the world as it is, and I
agree. It's become much more difficult to find any useful information
these days because of all the commercial crap that you have to wade
through and filter before you find what you're looking for.

The way I work is to at least try to find a 'pure' solution, devolving to
less 'pure' solutions if one cannot be found; posting a clear warning
about the obligations inherent in a particular app if it's something-
nastyware.
The worst I've had to devolve to is nagware so far.

The other factor, of course, is that there usually is an acceptable
'proper' freeware solution, and trying to find it keeps the software
standards of ACF up. The benefit to this is that you don't have to wade
through lots of commercial crap to find a 'real' freeware app....you can
download an app from ACF with reasonable confidence that it will be free
and won't have any surprise obligations.

There are loads of freeware sites that I just don't bother to go to
anymore because half the time it turns out to be a 30-day trial or adware
when you've downloaded it. If JC's stance will help prevent ACF from
turning into something like tis then I, for one, will applaud and support
it.

John Corliss

Roger said:
John Corliss writes
Foust said:
John Corliss writes
[snip]

Bill, you need to do a reassessment. I haven't been "enforcing" very
much lately because I just don't have the time.

And people are glad you don't have the time. ACF has been a pleasure to
read without you. [snip}

Indeed, snip.
Anything said by a sock puppet using troll is irrelevant.

Doesn't this imply that sock puppets use trolls?
Surely "Sock-puppeted troll" would be less ambiguous (and scans better).

Ummm, maybe. Perhaps I should have written it as "sock puppet-using
troll" (note the dash). And my apologies to Foust for wrongly accusing
(s)he/it of being the Mavis Chillum coward/sock
puppet/troll/fool/idiot/etc.

Roger Hunt

John Corliss said:
Roger said:
John Corliss writes
Foust (Mavis Chillum troll) wrote:
John Corliss writes
[snip]

Bill, you need to do a reassessment. I haven't been "enforcing" very
much lately because I just don't have the time.

And people are glad you don't have the time. ACF has been a pleasure to
read without you. [snip}

Indeed, snip.
Anything said by a sock puppet using troll is irrelevant.

Doesn't this imply that sock puppets use trolls?
Surely "Sock-puppeted troll" would be less ambiguous (and scans better).

Ummm, maybe. Perhaps I should have written it as "sock puppet-using
troll" (note the dash). And my apologies to Foust for wrongly accusing
(s)he/it of being the Mavis Chillum coward/sock
puppet/troll/fool/idiot/etc.
<g>

Blinky the Shark

At least Lambchop had _a_ personality ;-)

Right on. :)

For the...er...for another record, the term's been in use in the Usenet
morpher-to-look-like-someone-agrees-with-you sense for years, too.

Incidentally, Lambchop lives. Shari's daughter has given her new life.
I've worked when them, and I doubt that you'd know the difference -- if
the human with the hand up its butt wasn't someone else, of course.

M.L.

Idiot.

The very LAST things the trolls want is for Big John to stop posting
to ACF. John-Boy is every troll's dream

<snip>

So anyone who disagrees with John is a troll?

TechnoHippie

(e-mail address removed) says...
In any event, I shall be keeping a close eye on you, John-Boy.

A very close eye indeed.

Ethel Mooner

Nice to see you out and about, Andy. I've got 3500
unread ACF posts sitting in my reader because I'm
rabidly sick of three specific people in this group who
think the world would end if they shut their traps or
showed some civil courtesy to the rest of us. You are
not one of those people.

Judy