nvidia raid

Man-wai Chang ToDie

Is it generic?

If I set up a RAID 0 on a nForce 570 Ultra, could the RAID be
recognized by the nForce 590 chipset on another board?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.23.1

Rob Nicholson

Is it generic?
If I set up a RAID 0 on a nForce 570 Ultra, could the RAID be
recognized by the nForce 590 chipset on another board?

A very good question... unfortunately I don't know. I never personally trust
RAID between different chipsets...

Rob.

Arno Wagner

A very good question... unfortunately I don't know. I never personally trust
RAID between different chipsets...

Linux has a software driver foir this type of fake-RAID, called dmraid.
It may document whether the on-disk format is the same. However since
both chipsets are really RAID capable and the RAID is done in software
there is a good chance this may work.

Arno

Folkert Rienstra

Arno Wagner wrote in news:[email protected]
Linux has a software driver foir this type of fake-RAID, called dmraid.
It may document whether the on-disk format is the same.
However since both chipsets are really RAID capable

Nothing to do with the chipset at all.
Any chipset is RAID capable, it's just a question of BIOS and drivers.
and the RAID is done in software

Like there is any difference if it was to be hardware assisted raid, babblebot.
there is a good chance this may work.

Because it's both nVidia and they are the original creators (no OEM).

Rob Nicholson

Linux has a software driver foir this type of fake-RAID, called dmraid.

Why is it fake RAID?

Folkert Rienstra

Arno Wagner wrote in news:[email protected]
Because it is not hardware RAID, but pretends to be.

Babblebot, utterly clueless as always.
Because it is not hardware RAID, it doesn't need to pretend to be.
It just is Raid, whether that's firmware or hardware assisted.

Eric Gisin

Arno Wagner said:
Because it is not hardware RAID, but pretends to be.
Are Lunix freaks really so stupid? It is software RAID, it does not pretend to be anything else.

AZ Nomad

Are Lunix freaks really so stupid? It is software RAID, it does not pretend to be anything else.

It calls itself a raid controller. It pretends to be a hardware controller
no matter what assinine assertions you may blather.

[H]omer

Verily I say unto thee, that Eric Gisin spake thusly:
Are Lunix freaks really so stupid? It is software RAID, it does not
pretend to be anything else.

Ignorant twit.

Fake-RAID is an implementation along the lines of other half-assed
hardware solutions, like Winmodems. Some (but *not* all) of the
functionality that would otherwise be in hardware is shifted to the OS
via drivers, thus reducing the cost of that hardware by 0.00001 cents
per unit (presumably).

Purely hardware RAID requires no drivers (other than (S)ATA/SCSI), and
is thus OS agnostic.

Software RAID is something else yet again, and does not actually require
anything but two or more hard drives (no special controller), since as
the name suggests, it is implemented purely in software.

Linux Software RAID can be set up using a tool called mdadm.

Fake-RAID (i.e. Intel ICHx) can be set up using dmraid.

Hardware RAID (e.g. certain cards from 3Com) just works. It also tends
to be a quite expensive (and arguably better) solution.

--
K.
http://slated.org

..----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
| make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
| - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html
`----

05:14:44 up 90 days, 5:09, 2 users, load average: 1.24, 1.01, 0.73

Folkert Rienstra

[H]omer wrote in news:[email protected]
Verily I say unto thee, that Eric Gisin spake thusly:

Ignorant twit.

Fake-RAID is an implementation along the lines of other half-assed
hardware solutions, like Winmodems. Some (but *not* all) of the
functionality that would otherwise be in hardware is shifted to the OS
via drivers, thus reducing the cost of that hardware by 0.00001 cents
per unit (presumably).
Purely hardware RAID requires no drivers (other than (S)ATA/SCSI),
Bwahahah.

and is thus OS agnostic.
Bwahahah.

Software RAID is something else yet again, and does not actually require
anything but two or more hard drives (no special controller), since as
the name suggests, it is implemented purely in software.

Linux Software RAID can be set up using a tool called mdadm.

Fake-RAID (i.e. Intel ICHx) can be set up using dmraid.

Hardware RAID
(e.g. certain cards from 3Com)

Bwahahah. Ignorant twit indeed.

Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage [H]omer said:
Verily I say unto thee, that Eric Gisin spake thusly:
Are Lunix freaks really so stupid? It is software RAID, it does not
pretend to be anything else.
Ignorant twit.
Fake-RAID is an implementation along the lines of other half-assed
hardware solutions, like Winmodems. Some (but *not* all) of the
functionality that would otherwise be in hardware is shifted to the OS
via drivers, thus reducing the cost of that hardware by 0.00001 cents
per unit (presumably).

Actually it is quite more of a reduction. A hardware RAID controller
needs to be able to manage a RAID on its own. Thet means it needs
a CPU, its own (very small) embedded OS, and so on. If you check,
the cheapest RAID controllers are significantly more expensive than
Fake-RAID controllers.
Purely hardware RAID requires no drivers (other than (S)ATA/SCSI), and
is thus OS agnostic.

It does also need controller management software, but as soon as
the RAID is configured and as long as there are no problems, this
is exactly the point.
Software RAID is something else yet again, and does not actually require
anything but two or more hard drives (no special controller), since as
the name suggests, it is implemented purely in software.
Linux Software RAID can be set up using a tool called mdadm.
Fake-RAID (i.e. Intel ICHx) can be set up using dmraid.
Hardware RAID (e.g. certain cards from 3Com) just works. It also tends
to be a quite expensive (and arguably better) solution.

Do you mean 3ware by chance? As to better: I prefere real software
RAID. Generally hardware agnostic (i.e. you do not need a spare
controller), more flexible (at least in linux you can to it on
partitions as well), good management tools (at least under Linux), no
problems getting SMART status from the disks, cheaper,
etc.. Disadvantages: May be slower, typically no automatic hotplugging
(but can be scripted), and typically does not work under another OS.

Arno

Rob Nicholson

Because it is not hardware RAID, but pretends to be.

Ohh, I always assumed it was hardware RAID as it's part of the chipset. Not
that I've ever trusted it. nVIDIA do some nice graphics cards but their
drivers have, well, gone through a lot of versions which hints at
instability/bugs :) I assume the same level for stability goes into their
RAID software drivers and whilst I can put up with an app crashing with bad
video drivers, I'm not going to trust my data.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob Nicholson

Are Lunix freaks really so stupid? It is software RAID, it does not
pretend to be anything else.

Shirley it's a little more than software RAID otherwise you could use
Windows software RAID. Ohh, hang on - does Windows XP have software RAID? If
not, then I can half see the reason. I assume though that the nVIDIA chipset
has *some* vaguely RAID related functions in there.

Cheers, Rob.

Folkert Rienstra

Rob Nicholson wrote in news:[email protected]
Ohh, I always assumed it was hardware RAID as it's part of the chipset. Not
that I've ever trusted it. nVIDIA do some nice graphics cards but their
drivers have, well, gone through a lot of versions which hints at
instability/bugs :) I assume the same level for stability goes into their
RAID software drivers and whilst I can put up with an app crashing with bad
video drivers, I'm not going to trust my data.

Like your data cares by what crash it gets corrupted.

Folkert Rienstra

Rob Nicholson wrote in news:[email protected]
Shirley it's a little more than software RAID

Just an itsy bitsy teensy weensy.
Firmware is just software contained in nonvolatile memory.
otherwise you could use Windows software RAID.

And you probably can.
Ohh, hang on - does Windows XP have software RAID?
If not, then I can half see the reason.

How about getting you through the startup phase before drivers become
active, Rhonda
I assume though that the nVIDIA chipset has
*some* vaguely RAID related functions in there.

Yes Rhonda, they call it a BIOS.

Eric Gisin

Rob Nicholson said:
Shirley it's a little more than software RAID otherwise you could use Windows software RAID. Ohh,
hang on - does Windows XP have software RAID? If not, then I can half see the reason. I assume
though that the nVIDIA chipset has *some* vaguely RAID related functions in there.
There are no RAID features in Intel ICH*R implementation.
There is a enable bit for AHCI and RAID,
plus the device type (IDE, AHCI, or SCSI/RAID) in PCI config space.
The Intel drivers check the device type and don't install if IDE.

It's purely firmware+software RAID, and I suspect nvidia is the same.

Eric Gisin

AZ Nomad said:
It calls itself a raid controller. It pretends to be a hardware controller
no matter what assinine assertions you may blather.

All disk controllers are hardware, you stupid Lunix ****. Take your meds.

AZ Nomad

All disk controllers are hardware, you stupid Lunix ****. Take your meds.

At least I can, unlike you, read at a third grade reading comprehension
level. You seem to have glossed of the word "raid". "raid" != "hardware".

<plonk>