Nvidia nTune

Reaction score
anyone familiar with the nvidia ntune software? its a pretty nifty application that gives you almost complete control to your GPU and motherboard settings.

there is an option to 'fine tune' your system, its like a 3 hour process that goes through memory timing adjustments as well as BUS frequency increases among other things.
Now after going through that long 3 hour process, none of the settings that it changed saved or applied when i restarted my comp. Now this is probably an issue i should take up with nvidia support, but if anyone is familiar with this software or wants to check it out it is pretty neat.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

Yeah its better to do it yourself in the BIOS if you can.

I think when you do the fine tuning you need to create a profile or something and have it run when the computer starts up to keep the settings.

Still i wouldn't use it myself as i have heard some horror stories about it.

Reaction score
Yea I don't really feel comfortable changing those setting myself, so I figured a company like nVidia would make a reliable and trustworthy application but then again I'm not looking for any horror stories to tell so I'll keep that in mind.
thanks =)

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah fair one mate.

I wouldn't mess around either, the only horror stories i've read are that it changes the pci-e speeds and also the memory, not really a good idea unless you have a motherboard and RAM that overclock well and even then the gains aren't really noticeable.

The only thing really worth overclocking is the Processor, but make sure you have a good cooler as, as the voltage is increased it generates more heat and alot of coolers you get as standard can't keep up.

I have an Intel Q6600 Quad Core 2.4Ghz running nicely at 3.0Ghz.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Riva Tuner is good, although it has a somewhat steep learning curve. You can download it from www.guru3d.com

All settings can be adjusted, including fan speed, it works well.

I tinkered extensively with it and to be quite honest the only difference it made was to benchmarks.

I didn't notice any improvements in games at all, tbh. Ok, increased frame rates but the crux was - did the game run smoother or look better? Nope.

Being able to set fan to 100% was good, brought temps down quite a lot but, as ever, this resulted in more noise.

Others may disagree but I really don't think it's worth it in newer vid cards.

Perhaps it may be worth it with older vid cards playing newer games.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Rivatuner FTW.

Its way better than Ntune, as flops said, takes some getting used to, but when you've sussed it, it rocks. :D

Ask a Question