ntldr is missing

G

I can boot from the EMR diskette without problem.
i copied ntldr boot.ini ntdetect.com from diskette to c:\ . When i reboot the "ntldr is missing"
what can be wrong ?

G

ok just found the answer.
Maybe a lesson ...
wath did go wrong. I had some hardisk space left (20 Gb) so i created a new partition (3).
After it was formatted i did not see the newly created e drive in the explorer.
Went back to disk managment and marked the partition as active. I still couldn't see the E drive in explorer.
So i rebooted the machine. So probably some off you will already know what happend :)
Indeed Ntldr is missing. Ok no problem reboot from cd start recovery console login ..
fixboot, fixmbr, copy ntldr, ntdetect.com from i386 and reboot ...
Still same problem ? ok found a EMR diskette (sometimes i do wath has to be done :)
boot from EMR (after changing boot.ini to my sytems configuration) and yes the system reboots.
ok copy the files from boot diskette to c:\ reboot ... ntldr is missing... reboot from diskette ok system up.
post messages and continue searching in newsgroup and found http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q228004
Disk manament .. mark C: as active ... reboot ok.

Microsoft .. a small warning when someone try to set a second partition active on a running system would be nice.

Greetings form Be

G

George Hester

Word to the wise: "when someone try to set a second partition active on a running system" - NEVER do that in Windows 2000 with Drive Management. I really don't know why that option is there. Unless it's to generate big bux from those who try it.

Ask a Question