NT Backup

I use NT Backup to backup one of my servers. The backup job takes to tapes.
What I have to do when I do a new backup with previous backup tapes that
where used with NT Backup is first open up the backup utility. Select
restore and find the media set in the drive. I right click on the backup set
and select delete from system. This enables me to run my scheduled job to
backup the next night. One slight problem is that it works for only one of
the two tapes. I have to put the tape in another server that uses arcserve
to format the second tape. How can use the second tape again without having
to format it on another server.

Jason Tan

Hi George,

Thanks for posting!

Based on the description, are you using tape drive library which has more
than one tape? Can I assume the following scenario is correct? You choose
overwrite the existing tape media in your scheduled job. The backup on the
first tape has completed however it failed on the second tape. If so,
Please help me know the status of the backup. Is there any error message?
Based on my research, I would like to provide you with the following
information for your reference:

Q267574 Scheduled Backup May Fail After Changing Media
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;267574

Q295159 Scheduled Backups May Hang After Mounting Tape
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;295159
Q239892 Scheduling Unattended Backups Using a Stand-Alone Tape Library
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239892

Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

No I'm not using a tape library. I ahve a single tape drie. I have to put
the second tape in after the first one finishes. What happens is after I
delete the tape form the system that the previous job was on I can use the
tape to backup. However i can only use one tape. I have to format the
second tape in another server. The second tape is read as not unused and NT
backup keeps asking or a new medai.

Jason Tan

Hi George,

At this time, Based on my research, please help me know if you have
installed the latest service pack for the Windows 2000. If not, I suggest
you obtain the latest service pack for Windows 2000. (Service Pack 4)

For more information, please refer to the following article:
Scheduled Backups Fail on Standalone Tape Drives After Changing Media
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/267574/

You receive a "The requested media is not blank" error message when you use
Ntbackup.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323274/

Ntbackup Cannot Restore from Backup Sets That Are Located on a Second Tape
in a Continuation Sequence
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;277701

Hope my information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?="
<[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: NT Backup
| Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 06:33:14 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.new_user
|
| No I'm not using a tape library. I ahve a single tape drie. I have to
put
| the second tape in after the first one finishes. What happens is after I
| delete the tape form the system that the previous job was on I can use
the
| tape to backup. However i can only use one tape. I have to format the
| second tape in another server. The second tape is read as not unused and
NT
| backup keeps asking or a new medai.
|
| "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:
|
| > Hi George,
| >
| > Thanks for posting!
| >
| > Based on the description, are you using tape drive library which has
more
| > than one tape? Can I assume the following scenario is correct? You
choose
| > overwrite the existing tape media in your scheduled job. The backup on
the
| > first tape has completed however it failed on the second tape. If so,
| > Please help me know the status of the backup. Is there any error
message?
| > Based on my research, I would like to provide you with the following
| > information for your reference:
| >
| > Q267574 Scheduled Backup May Fail After Changing Media
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;267574
| >
| > Q295159 Scheduled Backups May Hang After Mounting Tape
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;295159
| > Q239892 Scheduling Unattended Backups Using a Stand-Alone Tape Library
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239892
| >
| > Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear,
please
| > feel free to let me know.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Jason Tan
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| >
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so

| > =====================================================
rights.

Jason Tan

Hi George,

Thanks for update!

Please excuse for the delay and thanks for your patience.

At this moment, please help me know the exact status of the following.

1. After the first tape has finished. How about the second one? Does it
hang or is there any error?

-----One slight problem is that it works for only one of the two tapes. I
have to put the tape in another server that uses arcserve to format the
second tape. How can use the second tape again without having to format it
on another server.

2. Please help me know the information of Ntbackup.exe on your side.

Date Time Version Size File name

Ntbackup.exe

3. In additional, as a workaround, I would like to recommend you schedule 2
backup tasks and test the issue again.

Thanks for your time. If there is anything that is unclear, please feel
free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?="
<[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: NT Backup
| Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 06:08:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.new_user
|
| I have all the latest service packs and security updates.
|
| "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:
|
| > Hi George,
| >
| > At this time, Based on my research, please help me know if you have
| > installed the latest service pack for the Windows 2000. If not, I
suggest
| > you obtain the latest service pack for Windows 2000. (Service Pack 4)
| >
| > For more information, please refer to the following article:
| > Scheduled Backups Fail on Standalone Tape Drives After Changing Media
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/267574/
| >
| > You receive a "The requested media is not blank" error message when you
use
| > Ntbackup.exe
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323274/
| >
| > Ntbackup Cannot Restore from Backup Sets That Are Located on a Second
Tape
| > in a Continuation Sequence
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;277701
| >
| > Hope my information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
| > feel free to let me know.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Jason Tan
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| >
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so

| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?="
| > <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: NT Backup
| > | Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 06:33:14 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.new_user
| > put
| > | the second tape in after the first one finishes. What happens is
after I
| > | delete the tape form the system that the previous job was on I can
use
| > the
| > | tape to backup. However i can only use one tape. I have to format
the
| > | second tape in another server. The second tape is read as not unused
and
| > NT
| > | backup keeps asking or a new medai.
| > |