Notified of hardware change within 12 hours of Service Pack 1 installation requiring reactivation of

NickP

Hey there,

I installed Vista Service Pack 1 yesterday and today about 4 hours through
using the system as normal I was notified that I had a hardware change and
that vista needed reactivating. This is obviously wrong as my hardware has
not changed for months.

Is this a known issue with Service Pack 1? Cheers.

Nick.

BTW, before you ask I work as a gold certified partner and have installed
the RC of service pack 1.

NickP

Hi Brink,
I have not heard of this happening to others yet. Have you been able to
reactive your Vista. If not a phone activation will do it for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/84488-activate-vista-phone.html

Yup, I managed to reactivate fine as it's a volume license key that I'm
using afaik. Anyway it reactivated fine, but I'm still a little concerned
about what could have happened to have caused that, everything else seems to
be working fine 'touch wood'.

Nick.

PvdG42

NickP said:
Hey there,

I installed Vista Service Pack 1 yesterday and today about 4 hours through
using the system as normal I was notified that I had a hardware change and
that vista needed reactivating. This is obviously wrong as my hardware
has not changed for months.

Is this a known issue with Service Pack 1? Cheers.

Nick.

BTW, before you ask I work as a gold certified partner and have installed
the RC of service pack 1.

While hardly statistically significant, my experience with three Vista
machine here at home is no requests for reactivation.
Where I work, a lab with 21 Vista SP1 machines and no reactivations asked
for.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
That may be possible.
Hardware is represented to the system through the drivers, since the
service pack may update some drivers, it's possible that a combination of
drivers that were updated may appear to be different hardware. That could
explain why you are being asked to activate.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "NickP" <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: Notified of hardware change within 12 hours of Service Pack
1 installation requiring reactivation of Vista